Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-12-2012 , 07:10 PM

Interactive split and crashing?

Why does maya freeze (not respond) when I try to use the interactive split tool?

# 2 20-12-2012 , 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Because the interactive split tool can be a diva sometimes, you can access the previous split tool though.
Run this code, put it in your shelf, marking menu whatever.

Code:
setToolTo polySplitContext;

- Genny
# 3 20-12-2012 , 08:22 PM
Diva is right..lol. Think I might export the building, like you said for the texture issues I was having. I don't want a billion edge loops on it..Thanks.

# 4 21-12-2012 , 01:22 PM
SplitPolygonTool;

and

SplitPolygonToolOptions;

also work. I just put them both on my shelf as I do not care for the interactive split polygon tool.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 21-12-2012 , 09:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Didnt we put this in a thread before with the right script to access the original one?

the interactive split tool is a 'tool' in its own right and should be banned.

Jay

# 6 21-12-2012 , 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Looking at what Rick posted, that is the code that's in my marking menu that's been with me forever so that saved me from having the experience of being trolled by the new split tool lol user added image

- Genny
# 7 21-12-2012 , 10:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yeah both work fine.

I just recall this coming up before...

Jay

# 8 22-12-2012 , 12:35 AM
This has come up a time or two Jay.

I myself, in typical form, had a long rant about it when it first came out supposedly to replace the original split poly tool because it was "unstable". I never had a problem with the original split poly tool and I have used it since version 1.x of Maya!

Considering all the general stability issues I have run into this is quite an endorsement of the original split poly tool.

I suspect it was implemented to more closely replicate the max tool and much less to do with stability issues. But whatever the reason, to me it has been far less stable, far more touchy, and really offers nothing over the original tool.

The time used to implement the interactive split polygon tool could have been used more effectively to address some of the many other open issues in Maya.

PS -At least this is not as bad as the "all my verts and edges are yellow and orange"! What have I done? It's now a race to see who can say Press the "b-key" first!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 22-12-2012 at 12:42 AM.
# 9 22-12-2012 , 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
LOL Rick. I had to, I couldn't resist :3

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny