Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-12-2012 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber

Maya rigging , wrist control

Hi I have followed through the Character Rigging and nCloth Workflow videos and come across a problem.

no matter how many times I go through the video and repeat the process, my Left Wrist Control which I imported from the source files will not follow my arm it stay in that one position, although it controls the wrist's movement well.

I have used Constrait - Point the IK handle and Constraint Joint to the wrist bone joint.

The other side works but the left refuses. any help in the matter?

# 2 24-12-2012 , 11:05 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
have you frozen any transforms?

# 3 25-12-2012 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
yes I've frozen the transformation on the wrist control. Would that be the problem?

# 4 25-12-2012 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber

yes I've frozen the transformation on the wrist control. Would that be the problem?

When I try reset the transformation. I lose the bones and ik handle that it is contraint to.

# 5 25-12-2012 , 06:26 PM
theres the problem. All controls MUST have zero trasforms before applying any cons or IK as such. then make sure you are applying them in the correct order

Jay

# 6 25-12-2012 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber

theres the problem. All controls MUST have zero trasforms before applying any cons or IK as such. then make sure you are applying them in the correct order

Jay

Thanks I'll try this out

# 7 25-12-2012 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber

Jay

Thanks I'll try this out, here's a screen shot of the problem. Are the wrist controls meant to stay in place?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 25-12-2012 , 09:47 PM
youve translated the character so this will do this because of the ik, look at the legs they clearly are doing it as well because of the IK. Put the character back to zero, you can then parent the wrist controls to the main body control if you have one, then it can all move together if thats what you want, but still have independent movement for the arms if need be

Jay