Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-10-2013 , 12:28 PM

extrude behaviour

# 2 02-10-2013 , 01:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
My guess is you've got faces sitting on top of each other somehow, and when you're selecting everything, you have inside and outside faces. Try creating the original geometry again.

# 3 02-10-2013 , 05:59 PM
I just selected 1st the vertical faces and them(+shift)selected the top->extrude->0,05 thickness and it's ok...can you explain why this happen?user added image

# 4 02-10-2013 , 09:01 PM
Lifetime Member
As stwert said. The only way I could recreate the same behavior was with faces on top of each other. Before you do the extrude, can you go to Display -> Heads Up Display and select Poly Count, then select the whole object and see how many faces there are?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 5 04-10-2013 , 04:10 PM
Lifetime Member
This is a common mistake for beginners.... it happens when you select the extrude tool and then change your mind and don't extrude but select another tool.If you select the extrude tool you either have to extrude or undo(ctrl z) to change tools or you will have two faces directly on top of each other causing your very problem.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner