Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-01-2014 , 08:19 PM

Applying Gradient To Net with complex UVs

Hey everyone,

I've been working on a net sculpture using a custom plugin for Maya. While I am well versed in the modeling aspect, rendering is not my strong suit. The gist of my issue is that I've been trying to figure out how to add a color gradient to the net, from outside to inside, the only problem is that the polygon mesh is incredibly complex, not only is the net 3D, but each twine is a cylinder, all with their own independent UV properties. Based on internet advising, I have been trying to use a 2d image of the gradient as a means of app[lying color to the whole thing, but obviously that isn't working. If using an image isn't the smartest way of creating a gradient, might anyone have a better idea?

I've attached a link to a portion of the poly export (The whole thing is huge) and the image of the color gradient to give you an idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1irk2lkv1f0utt6/M7_mQSnbTE

Any help would be greatly appreciated!