Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-02-2014 , 07:33 AM

Gloss, Specular, Reflection

If i've understood it right gloss decides where on an object there should be shinyness (white parts). Specular sees the enviroment from a black and white perspective and from that gives white shinyness depending on where the light colors are. Reflection sees the enviroment in colors and reflects on the object. is this right?

I have never used gloss before, but what is the diffrence? are all my thoughts about this correct?

Thanks
Skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 12-02-2014 , 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Almost.

Reflectivity - yes, it controls the how much the surface can mirror back the environment.

Specular - controls the strength of surface highlights, which are essentially reflections of light sources.

Gloss - controls the smoothness of the surface, and as a result the sharpness/blurriness of the reflections. It can make the difference between a mirror or brushed steel. You can think of the effect like an insanely fine, micro bump map.

- Genny
# 3 13-02-2014 , 03:11 AM
The Nurb Herd
they are all the same technically. they are all specular.