Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-04-2014 , 03:24 AM

ANIMATING A RUN CYCLE IN MAYA

So I just tried to animate a run cycle and it was horrible. Is there a more efficient way to do it
then to fully rig the model then just start moving each joint with key frames?

I looked up this tutorial online and this guy seems to have strange colored (joints?) or something attached to his model. The colored joints seem to be making his animation go much smoother than what I was trying to do. How do I get that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUf0Urg3wPw

PLEASE HELP!user added image

# 2 06-04-2014 , 03:56 AM
Lifetime Member

Do you understand IK FK?

Rotating each joint manually is indeed a bothersome process..

In Forward kinematics you control the hips and leg joint and knee joint and ankle joint to get a foot where you want it.
In Inverse kinematics you can grab a foot and put it/key it where you want it...

This last bit is just something you might want to experiment with...- I should not criticise but Chad Browns layered approach in that video does not (to me) achieve main keyframes with a dynamic pose / effective line of action.

The way I like to animate something like this, is to Key the full pose in the 'Up Pose' the 'Passing Pose' and the frames where the model contacts/strikes the ground, and again when the model leaves the ground.. I like to (was told to) make the poses in these frames really 'pop'. Without this models seem a little ragdoll-y.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.