Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-08-2014 , 05:38 PM

Rig help needed!

Hello all,

I have run into a problem that I cannot seem to fix. I am working with a rig and model created before I started this job so it has been one ordeal after another. My problem now is I created a roll bone and skinned it correctly within this rig, and it works perfectly except the controller for the hand is not using it correctly. If I have IK solvers checked under Nodes then the controller only rotates the wrist bone and not the roll bone so it ends up looking like garbage when the character rotates his wrist. When I check IK Solvers off then everything concerning the roll bone works beautifully except the controller no longer moves the hand in any direction.

I am truly stumped as to why this problem is happening, any help would be greatly appreciated and I could link to a model or an image if that would help. I attached pictures below of my woes.

Thank you thank you

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 19-08-2014 , 02:03 PM
what does ik have to do with rotation of rolljoint? ik does only translation moves. you have to connect the x-rotation of the wrist controller to the x-rotation of the rolljoint via connection editor.

# 3 19-08-2014 , 02:14 PM
Not entirely sure, just got to this point in the remaking of this rig/model and couldn't understand why the ik solver node being off would cause the bone to rotate perfectly and then when it is on, only rotate the wrist bone.

# 4 19-08-2014 , 07:54 PM
Technical Director
I have merged your three threads. In the future, please stick to one thread.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.