Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-08-2014 , 08:53 PM

Make IK handle bend 2 ways.

Hello everyone, I was wondering, I am new to this rigging and skinning thing, I am trying to rig a manta ray and I want its wings to flop both directions, but I can only get it to bend one direction. Any Ideas on how I can get it to bend the other way?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-08-2014 , 10:42 AM
Hi,

I noticed you are using an IK Handle, in this case that's the opposite of what you are trying to achieve to make your manta ray wings flap.

for a simple solution you want to be using FK Not IK.

Try this instead.

Create a straight row of bones , lets say for example 5 joints....the trick many users miss is when you select the first (root bone) in maya they all appear to be selected as you can move them all around together but that's not exactly true as you are only moving the children of joint 1 in relation to joint 1.

Open your outliner window and ctrl + select each joint individually starting backwards 5,4,3,2,1

Then you can use the rotate tool and each joint will rotate at the "same" time giving a curve effect.

Once you have the initial position of the bones at frame 1 you can use the shortcut "shift + e" to set a key for only the rotations , move to for example frame 40 and rotate all the joints again and "shift + e" which.

You now have an animated wing that flaps once, to make it repeat go to graph editor and make sure you have all 5 bones selected, select the curves you have animated and under "curves" menu option in the graph editor you need to select "post infinity", "oscillate".....to see what it has done go to the view menu in the graph editor and put a tick in the "infinity" box

The wing will now flap forever, well until the end of the time line.

Scene file attached.

https://simplymaya.com/forum/images2/attach/zip.gif

Attached Files
File Type: zip MantaWing.zip (9.8 KB, 257 views)