Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-12-2014 , 06:47 AM

What is best set up for hotkeys?

I have 2 related questions regarding Maya hotkeys.

One... it seems the default hotkey arrangement from Maya doesn't map very many menu items. For example, a list of mappings for the "edit mesh" category shows only:
Ctrl Alt ... Press PolySpinEdgeForward
Ctrl Alt ... Press PolySpinEdgeBackward
but would it not make sense for default Maya to have hotkeys for frequently used mesh editing actions like insert or move edge loop tool? Are there simply not enough key combinations (even with ALT etc...) to cover even a restricted set of widely used tools? So Maya let's the user decide based on his/her Maya useage?

Two... rather than a new user setting up his/her own hotkeys based on personal taste, are there any "standard" mappings in the Maya community that a new Maya user is encouraged to use? For example, a suggested or standard hotkey arrangement for mesh editing?

Thanks ahead of time !!!

# 2 18-12-2014 , 07:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can definitely add as many or as few hotkeys as you want. Maya lets you customize whatever you like. I don't think there are enough hotkeys for everything, because the modelling commands are just a small part of what many people use Maya for. I would recommend trying out the modelling marking menus, because that can be almost as fast and much more intuitive than remembering a whole ton of hotkeys.

# 3 19-12-2014 , 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think there can really be such a thing as "standard Maya hotkey mappings" for several reasons like:

- Maya offers several different ways of accessing the tools other than hotkeys, a tool one user might prefer to map to a keyboard shortcut, another user could prefer to add it to a shelf, or marking menu or some kind of scripted toolbox or a HUD button even.

- There are going to be tools that people don't have in common because they use Maya for different purposes.

- Even if the end product is basically the same, people can have differing workflows and many instances the tools themselves are custom.

Well you see where I'm going with this. It really does come down to whatever you're comfortable with and what works. My personal setup uses custom marking menus that I can cycle through and they are also context sensitive. Trying to remember hotkeys for even half of that or having to skim through shelves would drive me insane.

- Genny
# 4 23-12-2014 , 12:51 PM
Thanks Genny and stwert. So I'm assuming out there in the real Maya work world if someone new joins a project they generally just import their hotkey setup file into the Maya installation they will be working with, or simply use their own Maya (though I would imagine if there is a lot of project file sharing going on you would generally be using their installation?)

Thanks again. By the way, speaking of thanks, on this forum, how do you "thank" people user added image

# 5 23-12-2014 , 02:10 PM
The thin red line
Thanks again. By the way, speaking of thanks, on this forum, how do you "thank" people user added image[/QUOTE]

There should be a thank you button on the reply from the person, no need to thank me for pointing out where the thank you button should be...........user added image.................dave

# 6 24-12-2014 , 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Maya defaults to looking for preferences in a user specific directory, totally separate from the actual Maya installation. You can even specify custom preferences locations with environment variables(maybe to a folder on a network for example).

- Genny