Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 31-10-2015 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber

Multiple Faces

I have been trying to cut out a window in a house on the backside of my polygon. When I insert an edge loop it is only cutting out parts of the polygon. I have attached a screenshot, so hopefully that will help this make sense.
I have some of the window selected out but when I move over to the right suddenly the cuts are gone and its one large piece. Why can I select individual pieces on only certain parts?

Thanks! Happy Halloween!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-11-2015 , 03:02 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Looks like you have multiple faces on top of each other, which is why it appears that you can only select one large face. I would delete those faces and use the Append Poly Tool to fix that area.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 03-11-2015 at 03:09 PM.
# 3 04-11-2015 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
Ozgalis, thank you!

So as I am going through it looks like I may have accidentally duplicated everything at some point. I have two sets of everything sitting on top of one another. Is there an easy way to fix this? Or do I need to go through each of my faces and delete the extras one by one?

# 4 05-11-2015 , 01:42 AM
First thing I would check is to make sure you didn't duplicate the whole object, best way to do that is look at the outliner. If it's not just a duplicate object but duplicate faces, only way I know if is by going through and checking everything manually.

# 5 05-11-2015 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
If you have two objects in the outliner, then you might delete one (the "wrong" one ;-) ), if it is the same object you should mark the faces carefully, which are not belonging to the original. Hope its not too much work.
By the way, I strongly recommend to use the autosave - function, which can save every 10 minutes you work status. In case you messed up you model you should be able to go back to the last stage before this happened. I have several times that the original file was broken, fortunately i used this function. But don't forget to delete from time to time the autosaved files, because it will get quite big, keep some key work points only.

# 6 05-11-2015 , 04:27 PM
husbyhogan makes a good point about saving often. I usually save after any major changes or every 20-30 minutes (depends on what comes first). I name my files;

<name of project>_MM_DD_YY_<revision number>

So for example;

M16_11_05_2015_01

The last number _01 is my revision number, this will change every time I save..so if I have a lot of revisions in one day I can tell which one was the latest version.