Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-06-2003 , 07:52 PM

matrix concatenation for binding geometry to a skeleton

Actually i try to load in a .ma file in c++ using directX9 to render it. It is a skinned mesh. I never worked with maya since i am a programmer trying to code skinning... I choosed the .ma files cause theyre easy to understand...
So i did load in all informations i think i need ( the mesh, joint and skincluster nodes... )
I filled my vertex structure with the weigths and indices to the joints..
The problem now i have is how to concatenate the different matrices and/or informations ( at first to render the mesh in the bind pose ).

In the joint node there is a translation (.t), a joint orient (.jo) and a bind pose (.bps) matrix derived.
In the skinCluster node a bindPreMatrix (.pm) and a geomMatrix (.gm)

Can anyone give me a hint / a formular on how maya works with these matrices / information ?

Thanx Den
user added image

# 2 24-06-2003 , 10:37 PM
user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

Um, why you try useing the actualy program, imstead of doing it all in C++. I dont like C++ any ways, im a Java man myself... hehe

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 3 25-06-2003 , 11:34 AM

easy to understand....

First i tried to load in the directx ".x" format.... but, ok, it sounds strange, but the ".ma" format is easier to understand...

Actually, it seems like it runs... i just multiplied the bindPose Matrix with the bindPreMatrix... user added image

# 4 03-07-2003 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
Hi Den,

sounds interesting... will try to dig for some info... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 5 03-07-2003 , 03:10 PM

strarup

Thanx... ! Would help me a lot... its easy to render the mesh in the bindpose but actually i couldnt find out a way to animate it...
i read in the correct rotation angles for the joints and a "dagPose" node but i dont know how to compute the right matrices....user added image