Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-08-2003 , 09:41 PM

Attach Surfaces --> Surfaces suddenly disappear !!!!!!

Hello friends !

I have two independent surfaces.

1st: was build with a normal loft from two ep-curves
2nd: was build with birail 2

If I want to attach the surfaces, the surfaces disappear - yeah, both surfaces suddenly disappear.

hmm, have no clue what is wrong.

I´ve tried to delete the history from both surfaces, but there was no difference. Both surfaces disappear after attaching.

What can I do ?

thx for every littel help,
bernhard

contact me via MSN: rieder@utanet.at
# 2 16-08-2003 , 10:10 PM
I was gonna say delete history, but you already tried that!
maybe try ( if you havn't already) and delete the curves that you lofted together- If you keep those alive they can sometimes cause problems like yours.
hope I helped

# 3 17-08-2003 , 12:40 AM
2 things firstly pop to my mind,

Check your surface normals

and

Make sure they can be attached successfully.

By that last thing I mean if one surface has only a certain number of spans etc, and the other has more or less, there could be issues like you are having.

Mike has a great tutorial regarding attaching/stitching sufaces like this in the VIP section called "Arm Stitching", so you might wanna check it outuser added image

Otherwise, a text version is at his site as well.

I believe his tutorial site is in our tutorial links database page, so check there firstuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 17-08-2003 , 12:48 AM
Yes, maya is very picky about it, so make sure everything will go peachy, or you will keep gettin this problem. Make sure your normals are all facing out, and if they arent conform them.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow