Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-10-2003 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber

Emo's New Dual Opteron Workstation

Well there's good and bad news...

Good news first user added image

my new PC is done... here are the specs:

LianLi PC75 Case
Antec 550W PSU
Rioworks HDAMB Dual Opteron Motherboard
2x AMD Opteron 244 (1.8ghz) 64bit CPU
2x512MB ECC PC3200 Ram
Western Digital Raptor 36GB 10K SATA HDD
Western Digital 200GB 7200K HDD
GeForce 3 ti500 (until I get my GireGL X2)
DVD-RW/CD-RW
Floppy :p

and now the bad news.... user added image

Here is where I need help. When I press the power button, I hear 4 beeps...and that's it! user added image user added image

I researched online and it seems that there's something wrong with the mobo... so now I called the people I go it from and they'll get back to me tomorrow...

but other than that.. I can't WAIT to try it! user added image

oo by the way, if anybody's interested in how much I spent total on this... $2970 USD (w/o the video card witch is another 840) so all in total I will spend about $3810

-Emo

# 2 27-10-2003 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
buarrghhhh!!!!

that is a helluva pc man!

when you finally get it to work run some benchmarks!

congrats man

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 3 27-10-2003 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
Thanks... and dont worry, I'll make a LOT of benchmarks user added image

Also last night, I found out what the problem was user added image and it doesnt seem to be the motherboard!

It was my Ram! I bought Unbuffered where the motherboard needs Registered Memory to run user added image so I ordered the right kind, and they should be here in a day or so (overnight delivery)

so now I'm gonna see if I can return this if not, I'll probably sell it to whoever wants it!

Also, while I'm at it, if anybody's interested in CD-Burner/DVD player in one, tell me, I might sell the one I got for this because few days ago I got a DVD-Burner that was a CDBurner as well so I wont need the other one

-Emo

# 4 27-10-2003 , 12:34 PM
Kevin
damn!!! $3810 on a pc - you must be nuts to spend that amount on a system that will need ungrades in 24 months

Now I spend no more then £500 on a system that does the job for the same amout of time.

But what the hell dude - if ya have the money then spend spend spend user added image

# 5 27-10-2003 , 04:44 PM
I had some RAM issues too when I was setting up my dual AMD (2000+) machine. They were the right kind and with life time warranty (Kingston) but yet they failed. Both sticks. I got them replaced for free but I had to wait about a month to get the new ones user added image

The new sticks were the same part number but they had different make of chips on them. Neway, after that the box has been working without glitches...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 27-10-2003 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
wow, im heading out to get me one of those...

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 7 27-10-2003 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
You should....it's a beauty! user added image

and yes, it's almost 99.9% sure that I had the wrong RAM... so now I'm waiting for the new one to come (tomorrow) and I'll have this baby up and running user added image

-Emo

# 8 27-10-2003 , 10:56 PM
It sounds like you spent too much. Those parts shouldn't cost that much. Did you buy a cooling system or something you forgot to tell about?

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 9 28-10-2003 , 04:11 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dockode
It sounds like you spent too much. Those parts shouldn't cost that much. Did you buy a cooling system or something you forgot to tell about?

Not at all... here is the break down (WITH shipping included):

LianLi PC75 Black Case - $250
Antec PSU - $130
Motherboard - $480
2xOpterons - $1400
2x512MB Ram (ECC) - $250 once and another $234 for the one I bought last night
WD Raptor - $170
WD 200GB - $130
DVDPlayer/CDBurner combo - 50 (Will probably sell it)
DVD Burner/CDBurner combo - 150
Floppy - 10 user added image
PCI to SATA card for the Raptor - $40
2xAntec Fans - $30

so all that = $3324 and that's without the $840 video card I will get soon when I get the money...

so yup... 99% of the stuff is from NewEgg.com

-Emo

# 10 28-10-2003 , 05:54 AM
Subscriber
its not actually that bad considering its a 3d workstation. since you bought something like that you mean business. Pricing i mean.

I wish i had dual opretons...... user added image

# 11 28-10-2003 , 11:17 AM
Kevin
my main pc is a dual palimino 1.9 `s

and 1 gig of ram....was exspensive at the time... next time I will just go for a single chip, need the money for beers user added image

# 12 28-10-2003 , 06:12 PM
Hey Emo, do you see anything on the monitor? Make sure your video card is inserted correctly. I've had a simlar problem and realized that the video card wasn't properly inserted. Once I readjusted it, it booted right up. Sometimes with new gear it takes a few tries to get it to seat properly. Take it out, then put it back in and make sure it 'snaps' into place. Maybe it's not the problem, but couldn't hurt to try. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 13 29-10-2003 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave bear but I was right.. it was my RAM... today my new RAM came in, I put it in and everything started up with no problems... I'm writing this from the PC now!!! user added image

This is cool... love it... I'll post some picturs later of how it looks!

-Emo

# 14 29-10-2003 , 08:47 AM
Subscriber
cool!

# 15 30-10-2003 , 11:03 PM
I just built a new system for 780 USD. Not near as fast but I figured I will upgrade the proccessor and another hard drive and run raid in a few months. Build a whole new system in a year or so. Kevin, I hear you about the beer thing.user added image user added image

Do you have any work you have done. I was looking for some. A machine like that you could really use it to build some heavy models. If you are carefull and build things right you could be one of the first to do a GI and FG animation of high quality. Looking forward to seeing that baby sceam.

Last edited by RickStefani; 30-10-2003 at 11:21 PM.