Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 29-11-2003 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber

pic # 11

Had to go back a few steps as i wasnt happy with the scaling around nose and eyes...it was sending everything else off track so i went back to lo poly mesh and tugged n pulled and deleted until i was happy...just re-mapped it a lot better too... so im back on track again now at last.
Extra detail added and rebuilding his woolly hat at the moment.

https://www.screameagles.com/gollum/gollum_11.jpg

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 32 29-11-2003 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
looks good. good color to base every thing off of.

# 33 30-11-2003 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber

pic # 12

Thx Pony..kinda basing everything on that one reference pic that you see there.
Little update here on the hat, im coming back to the skin every once in a while to play with the shaders and getting as much info on doing skin on the net as i can, im finding it a little tough at the mo.

https://screameagles.com/gollum/gollum_12.jpg

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 34 30-11-2003 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
Now the HAT is COOL. I love how you put his name on the tag !!! Its little things like that, that make the difrance. About the textures.. yeah skin is hard,, be sure to do a good number on the bump map, that will really make it..

# 35 30-11-2003 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
Hey, this is looking great so far. I think you have to edit that ear though, as it just doesnt look right. Im not sure though, thats just an opinion. But yeah, i love the hat and how everything is looking. I agree with pony.. you should really do a huge number on the bump map and that will give you a good feel for gollum... lots of wrinkles and such. Okay, keep up the good work user added image. Great entry for a noob :thumbsup:

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 36 30-11-2003 , 05:35 AM
Subscriber
Thx pony ...glad u like the hat, it took a while to find a suitable looking base texture and then the clone 'n' healing tool in photoshop did the rest.
Working slowly on that bump map, fourth attempt so far...just cant seem to get the effect i like but itll come im sure theres a long time left yet.
Thx for the kind words 'M' appreciated...could u be a little more specific about the ear ?...as id like to fix anything earlier rather than later...do u thing the top edge is a little sharp? or is it the fact that the hat runs into it a little...or even the colorless look to it as i havent dealt with that part of the skin texture yet?
Anyways thanx for the crits it helps tremendously and yup i never used a modelling before this year but i did read quite a bit about it on the net as i had a great interest and hopefully grasped the fundementals at a reasonable pace, however all my efforts went into polygon modelling and file textures not shaders (as i was working on game mods...not realistic scenes)...so im kinda struggling with lights and skin effects etc..most tutorials never seem to have that lil bit u need to grasp it firmly inside yur head i think ..in my case anyway.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 37 30-11-2003 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
That hat is excellent Chipper!
The whole thing is coming along nicely!

The best advice I can give on bump mapping is to just do lots of test rendering as you build up the map. That way, with your photoshop file open you easily experiment and keep going back and forth as you build it up and get closer to the desired map.

Keep it up Chipper.

Chris

# 38 30-11-2003 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber

pic # 13

Thats kinda what im doin Chris at the mo with bump-spec-spec roll off-skin color maps but u know sometimes when you alter one then the other needs changing an if you change the other then the original needs changing again lol..or so it seems.
Anyhow im kinda getting a little closer to the look im trying to achieve...as hes a tramp i was going for a kinda dirty face tramp look....still needs work but definately looking dirty skinnish i think...heres a lil render of wut i got so far.

https://www.screameagles.com/gollum/gollum_13.jpg

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 39 30-11-2003 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
That's much much better Chipper!
Looking really good mate, well done.

# 40 30-11-2003 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
As gollum has got a few strands of hair i was wondering what any of you thought about doing that..i was thinking doing the hair out of geometry as i saw the tutorial about doing eyelashes the same way, i may try that .
Also i wanted to do him standing in front of a fire in an old oil drum in some alley...so any tips on lighting from the fire would be appreciated, hope that doesnt mean reworking his skin all over ...lol.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 41 30-11-2003 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
about the fire, you shouldn't have to retexture. You could use a red light positioned in the fire to make the glow afect on his skin.

# 42 30-11-2003 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
Oki Pony thx....ill experiment using that advice first...appreciated.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 43 30-11-2003 , 09:57 PM
I missed the topic for this one, is it Golum as a Pimp? lol. Looking good dude.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 44 01-12-2003 , 01:17 AM
Subscriber
Lol!!...no but not a bad idea Ultra...hes a tramp. user added image

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 45 01-12-2003 , 05:51 AM
heeey,... that's a mighty fine Smegal!!!... user added image
great job so far.. (for a newbe... eeh?.. :p )
looking forward for more..... :bgreen:
chears!! user added image