Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-11-2003 , 12:13 AM

Help with cutting circle or a particular shpe into polygon...

hello m8s... user added image
This is what I am trying to do... user added image
take for example,... a polygonal object of whatever.. and I want drow a smooth shape on the sides of it.... so, at the end I can cut it out and have a polygon with a smooth hole in it...

...I hope I explained myself smoothly... :p :bgreen:

# 2 29-11-2003 , 12:34 AM
Not quite sure what your trying to ask. Are you trying to make a hole in an object?...if so...what's the smooth shape for?....what is the matrix...err....the smooth shape?

Or do you mean that when you cut out a shape from another object you want it to be a smooth edge (Where you cut the object from)

Last edited by Saiyan; 29-11-2003 at 12:36 AM.
# 3 29-11-2003 , 12:40 AM
ok,...
I have a polygon sphere, and I want to cut the perfect circle on it's side...
how do I do it... ?

# 4 29-11-2003 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
ok.. is the pols of the sphere whare there pointing up ?? is the sphere still round ? if you don't have other plans for the sphere.. the eazyes thing to do would be to tern it on its side so the poles are ponting the direction you want the hole. you can get it to do this fast buy using the channel box. one of the rotait Y's, or Z. just put in 90 or -90.. what ever gets it facing how you want.. thin what you will do is pick the faces that is about the size you want the hole.. extrude poly face.. and push them back.. make sure the keep faces together is on. I wouldn't push them back much at first.. to leave a edge there to bevle if you want.. and thin do it agin and push them the rest of the way back.

see how that dose for you.. if that is a option.. don't know what your plans are for the sphere..

# 5 29-11-2003 , 06:06 PM
You could try using a boolean. Just make another sphere but make it the same size you want the hole to be. Then intersect the too where you want the hole. Select the object you want to cut FIRST then the object to cut with SECOND. Then, Polygon>Booleans>Difference. You can then select the second object in the HyperG and scale and move it. Howevere you should be aware that it is a vary good idea to dellete your history when you are done because booleans can cause some problem if you dont.

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
# 6 29-11-2003 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
booleans, can be cool but you have to be carefull with them or you end up having to get your mesh looking like pic on the left below. Had to spend some time cleaning up, hince the pic on the right.

Attached Images
# 7 30-11-2003 , 05:20 AM
thanx guys.. :p
that really helped.. :bgreen:
user added image

# 8 30-11-2003 , 06:21 AM
with your help and with my limited knowledge of Maya,.. I think I'm getting somewhere... user added image

Attached Thumbnails