Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-08-2013 , 11:01 PM
Lifetime Member

IK Rigging Query

Hi all, started on rigging my alien character and have come up with a question.

Taking a look at the screen shot below you can see (hopefully) that I've been attaching some IK solvers to the feet. The left foot (the one on the right of the pic) has been rigged following the tutorial and then I'm supposed to use the same principles to complete the right foot.

However as you can see the lines coming off the toe joint and the ball joint are going in opposite directions to the ones on the left foot. Is this normal? Is it supposed to happen like this or am I doing something wrong?

Also is there a way to make the lines a little smaller/shorter?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-08-2013 , 01:01 AM
Lifetime Member
OK, I've done some browsing on the web and I've found the reason for this strange occurrence.

The toes IK rotate attribute had spun itself -180, I've got no idea why though.user added image

If anyone knows I'd love to hear from them, but until then I'm just gonna set it back to zero.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 14-08-2013 , 03:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Alright, so I probably wasn't cut out to be a rigger. Transforming the IK settings back to zero makes the foot react crazily later on so I'm back to square one.user added image

My problem is circled below in red. The toe joint on the left has the red/blue/green line pointing in opposite direction to the toe joint on the right.user added image

How do I change this!?!

It happens when I mirror the joint from the left leg (to the right of the pic) to the right leg, but I can't work out why.

user added imageAll help welcome.user added image

Thanks, the Yeti

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 14-01-2014 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
I use the character rigging tut by kurt for these kinds of problems. in it i'm sure you'll find the answer...

Sampson