Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-05-2014 , 03:03 PM

mental ray materials problem

hello everyone
when im selecting a material of mental ray(mia) in the hypershade its look transparent(and the background of it too, like you see in the pic) when im going to the material in the attribute editor and changing the preset of the material its changing but its look transparent too, when i assignging it to an object and render the result doesnt look so good, im new to maya and using 2015 version
is it a problem or i imagine
please anyone

Attached Images
# 2 21-05-2014 , 04:22 PM
The thin red line
That look reflective not transparent, what really matter is what it looks like when you render it, could you upload a shot............dave

# 3 21-05-2014 , 04:53 PM

tnx

the first pic is when i render it with the default settings and without using additional lights
the second and third is when i changed the preset to glassphysical, how its look in the hypershade and after render.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 4 21-05-2014 , 05:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's how glass looks in a completely black room. You'll need something around for it to reflect. Not sure quite what you're after though, do you want the glass not to be transparent? I agree with Dave, the first image is just a reflective sphere, although its misleading because the checkers do look like they're showing through, rather than being reflected. Poor design choice by Autodesk in my opinion.

# 5 21-05-2014 , 05:28 PM
but isnt the default light suppose to show the glass?
when i add a spot light nothing had happend too.
and now i noticed that message- 102002: type rgba_h not supported by iff format, using default type rgba.
by the way, when i assignd the material to the object(the glass preset), the object became wireframed, without an option to change it unless ill brake the connection.

Last edited by gregori25; 21-05-2014 at 05:36 PM.
# 6 21-05-2014 , 05:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
1) No, besides the specular highlights which is a reflection of the light source, it has nothing else to reflect, and it is 100% transparent, so you can't see the surface itself.
2) Once again, the surface is 100% transparent so you can't see the surface. If you deselect it, it will become completely invisible. If you want to see the object while rendering it transparently, you can choose shading > use default material, which will assign the lambert1 just for the viewport.

# 7 21-05-2014 , 05:56 PM
so you say thats nothing wrong and the change that i see in the material pic(the transparency) in the hypershde is just a different design from past versions of maya?
if thats the case than im relaxed
thank you very much stwert and daverave.
but what about the message- 102002: type rgba_h not supported by iff format, using default type rgba.

# 8 22-05-2014 , 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
The swatch does look like its reflective instead of refractive. They finally changed the black background on mia_material swatches! Lol is it bad that this makes me super excited? Also, I guess it looks tricky because the reflection is totally even across the surface.

Gregori, as Stwert said, you don't have an environment for the glass to refract or reflect. All you're going to see is the "fake" reflection of the light source and the empty void that is Maya's background. Try putting the object inside a poly cube to simulate a room, maybe have it sit on a plane with a checkered texture, I think that would be a start and you'll actually see your glass object when you render.

The warning:

"type rgba_h not supported by iff format, using default type rgba."

means that you're rendering out a 16bit image and the iff file format can't handle it so Maya is automatically making the switch to a compatible bit depth. Either change the image format(EXR,tiff) or go into the "Framebuffer" section of the Quality tab and change the data type to something like RGBA(Byte)4x8bit, a pretty common bit depth for most images we see. I don't know why Autodesk changed one setting and not the other.

- Genny
# 9 23-05-2014 , 02:52 PM
thank you very much Gen

# 10 23-05-2014 , 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
And I forgot to add, surfaces tend to not look realistic when 100% transparent(is there such a thing in the real world?), try balancing the diffuse and transparency. With high transparency of say...0.9, the diffuse weight can be set to the difference (0.1).

- Genny