Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-08-2014 , 06:17 PM
EduSciVis-er

Maya 2015.5 and RenderMan at Siggraph

Just got back from SIGGRAPH and wanted to share a couple things. First is that Autodesk appears to be releasing Maya 2015 extension 1 in the near future (or 2015.5?) Haven't seen much news about it yet, but the biggest feature that has long been anticipated is an integrated and robust color management system. From what I've seen, this means no more silly gamma correct nodes and constantly changing color modes for test renders and batch renders. The color pots, viewport, color pickers, render view are all managed by the same color system.

Also saw some details on Renderman v19 which looks great. Can't wait to try the free non-commercial version. It is supposed to be very open and extensible (all C++), much more memory efficient, faster, pure raytracing, and is essentially a complete rewrite from everything before. One thing that was mentioned that I thought was intriguing is the idea that even with ad-based revenue, youtube and vimeo uploads are considered non-commercial uses. I'd be curious to see if this extends to other software licensing agreements.

# 2 18-08-2014 , 11:34 PM
Technical Director
Hey stwert, I was out there as well. Just remember that extension 1 is for subscription members only.

Did you happen by emerging technologies by any chance? We were presenting there user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 18-08-2014 , 11:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll release an educational download as well. I did walk through emerging technologies, what were you presenting?