Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-03-2006 , 04:17 PM

Jet Composite

I had this post in the Finished work part of the site but after some comments I am going to modify it so I figured I would just put it in the WIP section.

Here are some stills from the composite, I will post the animation soon.

Any comments welcome. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 31-03-2006 , 08:40 PM

# 3 31-03-2006 , 08:46 PM
Another pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-04-2006 , 04:21 AM
Technical Director
Its a bit hard to see the planes due to the motion blur. Otherwise well done!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 01-04-2006 , 01:52 PM
Nice. But in my opinion the explosions are too small. user added image

# 6 01-04-2006 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
Coming along nicely, but I do have a few suggestions! :-)

1) I can actually see one of the jets "pop" off the screen. Maybe you can fade it out or have it climb out of frame. I tend to notice that sort of thing every so often in various movies/TV productions...gaak! :-)

2) I agree that the explosions are too small. WAY too small! Also, one of the explosions (the second one) happens WAY too late in the action, it; could probably be retimed. If that were a real attack, each explosion would hgave taken up a considerable portion of the screen. One thing you might play with is a "camera shake" to simulate the effect of the explosion from the POV of whoever is watching. Try it!

3) I DO like the motion blur, but it could probably be tweaked here and there; just the same, it's looking really nice!

Keep up the good work! :-)

Regards,

Lt. Jim
NYC

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 7 01-04-2006 , 11:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I agree with the explosions being too small, thanks for pointing that out, I will fix that.

About the jet popping off screen... I don't know why but for some reason when I rendered the animation of the jets in maya mental ray it did that, and some of the parts of the jets would disappear and then reappear. So I am not sure what the deal is with that. Once I can figure out the problem I will fix it.

Camera shake is a good call, I will try and mess with it.

About the motion blur, I like the way it is. If you watch the Mission impossible 3 trailer and watch in slow motion the part where a car explodes behind him and he flys into the side of a car....the jet flying over dropping the bomb is absolutley blurred so you cant really even tell what it is. It would look a little fake I think if it had no motion blur.

I am totally open to comments, it helps the process along, so thanks to all of you guys. Keep them comin!

# 8 28-04-2006 , 02:06 AM

Link Dead

Hey jdig your link for the animation is dead... anywhere else we can see it?... Thanks!

I will win an Oscar someday!
# 9 28-04-2006 , 12:38 PM
Sorry about that. I will try to post it on another server sometime in the near future. I am just super busy, so when I get some time I will.