Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 02-05-2006 , 05:51 AM
Subscriber
I keep tweaking the face...Started with the helmet, will show it once its more developed. This one doesnt have the bump/disp map on it. Its so subtle right now you couldnt even tell anyways.

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 02-05-2006 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
Excellent stuff man!!
The eyes and face look great imo!
But the ear looks kinda outa place. like its been done by someone other than u.. Compared to the rest of the model its slightly a let down. Maybe if it was a bit thicker or fleshy Hope this helps.
Edit.. It looks a bit angular.
Sy.

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 33 03-05-2006 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
Thx for the comments magic. The ear was done in about 30 mins, and it was actually done from scratch. The helmet will be an imperial galic roman piece from 1st C AD. And I just realized that you will be able to see the ear with that type of helmet...#$%@#$, i'll take a look and see how the ear looks once the helmet is on.

# 34 03-05-2006 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
ear needs to come closer toward the front of the face, eyes sunk too deep next to the nose. looked pushed in, needs to come out a FRACTION. The thing about faces is such small tweaks can put it out but they are so small one can't see the forest for the woods. Example, two highlights, one for each eye (so we can see where he is looking) if one highlight is SLIGHTLY out, the model becomes cross eyed. The whole face is like this..!, slight tweak on both ears and eyes and , couldn't get better, only personal choice from there...user added image user added image

we're talking fractions here not major redos.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 35 05-05-2006 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
Here is an update on the helmet. Its only missing a couple of nick nacks and of course the hairy stuff on the crest. It seems the ears fade away enough to really worry about it, so i'll leave them as they are.

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 05-05-2006 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
And here are some orthogonal views

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 06-05-2006 , 09:50 PM
Banned
loved ur plane, love ur human. Keep goiing!
can i see a wire of the head.
user added image

# 38 07-05-2006 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
Thx for your comments meredith. Here is an update on the head. I started playing with the hair/fur on the helmet. Some basic shaders on the helmet as well. Lots of small tweaking from now on. I'll put up a wire of the head when i get back on maya.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 07-05-2006 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber
very impressive ..love watching this come together

# 40 07-05-2006 , 12:19 PM
oh wow! nice modeling! my only crit would be the head's material- but I'm sure you will fix that up later.

great job user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 41 07-05-2006 , 07:12 PM
Subscriber
love it man!!! looks really cool

the model looks excellent but in my opinion i would make the helmet a bit worn with scratches and maybe a scar on the guys face? only my preference user added image

did you do his eyes using UV's and just got a picture of a real eye? or how di you do it? Trying to do a female character myself and am having problems with the realism of the eyes:headbang:

keep up the good work!!user added image

# 42 07-05-2006 , 10:48 PM
Excellent work Minstrel - this is looking very cool. I really like the helmet.

hey marcusenberg - I used this eye tutorial recently and I thought it was pretty good.

https://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/eyeTut.html -

Maybe it will help.user added image

# 43 08-05-2006 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
Here is a small update. I'll start focusing on the face once again and start applying some bump maps to it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 08-05-2006 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
thanks arran, really good tutorial helped me a lot user added image

# 45 10-05-2006 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
Here is an update on the skin. I had to raise the rendering quality which also had a positive effect on the helmet. I'll add the crest as the final touch once im done with the face. I am almost done with this project.

Attached Thumbnails