Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-10-2011 , 07:30 AM

UV editor issues HELP PLEASE!

so I'm going to school to earn my BA in video game production a couple months ago I took a texture and lighting class where we learned about how to make UV maps and add textures to our models. Now I'm working on a project for fun and after creating the UV maps I tried selecting edges so that I could sew them together to help prevent "funkiness" in the textures at the edges of the model but nothing I do will get the corresponding edges selected if I select an edge on the model none of the edges in the map are selected and if I select one edge on the map the corresponding edge doesn't select on the other section if I select both edges manually then I still can sew them together I don't know how to fix this and I'm out of classes for the next month so I can't contact my teacher's to ask them for help (online school, teachers out for the month) can ANYONE help? I am using the 2011 version of Maya...hope that helps

Last edited by treazon; 14-10-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add that I am using Maya 2011
# 2 14-10-2011 , 08:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
First of all is your model combined properly and your verts merged??

I know this may sound like such a fundamental question but its quite common mistake when you are learning and tend to overlook things

J

# 3 14-10-2011 , 08:28 AM

First of all is your model combined properly and your verts merged??

I know this may sound like such a fundamental question but its quite common mistake when you are learning and tend to overlook things

J

yes I believe they are one of the reasons I believe that they are is because when I select the edges manually in the UV editor for each section that matches along an edge the same edge is selected on the model just not on the corresponding piece that shares the same edge I even tried to do an auto mapping to see if I was missing pieces and still I was not able to get matching edges to be selected much less to sew them together.

# 4 14-10-2011 , 08:44 AM
Okay sure, yeah I have had this in 2011. I was checking the obvious first.

Well as with everything maya -if all else fails, export the object as an obj file and import it, this usuall clkears any 'junk' off the model that maybe hanging around....then lets see where we are....

J

# 5 14-10-2011 , 10:47 PM

Okay sure, yeah I have had this in 2011. I was checking the obvious first.

Well as with everything maya -if all else fails, export the object as an obj file and import it, this usuall clkears any 'junk' off the model that maybe hanging around....then lets see where we are....

J

ok so I exported it as an .obj file then imported it back into Maya and now the entire scene is one object rather than several smaller objects it also created several N-gons that did not exist before in the scene by pulling and merging what seem to be random verts to seemingly random places in the model...

# 6 15-10-2011 , 01:42 PM
Senior Software Developer
Exporting and importing are no exact science. If your exporting from maya to maya then leave it as a ma or mb file. Obj files are not native to maya but are supported.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 15-10-2011 , 03:23 PM
Ah see youve taken it out of context.

Err No.....by exporting as an obj it will strip any crap off the file. Otherwise exporting as an MB or MA you are just keeping the nodes together every time plus an MA will create a bigger file size

When you import the obj you should separate the object back to how it was, it isnt merged. Its a temporary combine as such.

J

# 8 15-10-2011 , 05:50 PM
Senior Software Developer
OK... I understood it that if your moving models within the same app you should use the apps native extension types (ma or mb in this case). Oh and I know ma's are way way larger, but it can allow for the trick of exporting to a lower version by changeing the header data to the older version (that used to be the case)

BUT, you are the professional user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 15-10-2011 , 06:35 PM
Yeah MA's are useful for going back a version and they can be used for other fixes too in a file such as a dropped shaders. You can use something similar to an XML with an MA to relocate them and the textures from a previous file.....

but as a rule or more like a last resort, use an obj to fix any crud

Allegedly I am a pro.....allegedly LOL

J

# 10 20-10-2011 , 08:39 PM

Exporting and importing are no exact science. If your exporting from maya to maya then leave it as a ma or mb file. Obj files are not native to maya but are supported.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how to export as an .ma or .mb file that hasn't been covered in any of my classes its always been .obj and when I looked at the options ma and mb were not in the list

# 11 20-10-2011 , 08:42 PM

Ah see youve taken it out of context.

Err No.....by exporting as an obj it will strip any crap off the file. Otherwise exporting as an MB or MA you are just keeping the nodes together every time plus an MA will create a bigger file size

When you import the obj you should separate the object back to how it was, it isnt merged. Its a temporary combine as such.

J

I did try to separate them and it did not work the whole scene remained as one object also several of my verts had been moved warping the scene almost beyond recognition it would have been easier to start from scratch than it would have been to try to untangle the mess it become when I opened the .obj file user added image

# 12 20-10-2011 , 09:06 PM
MMM well that shouldnt happen no way, not exporting an obj out. Or any other file come to think of it.

I'd like to see the maya scene and try it myself

J

# 13 20-10-2011 , 09:28 PM

MMM well that shouldnt happen no way, not exporting an obj out. Or any other file come to think of it.

I'd like to see the maya scene and try it myself

J

that should be simple enough since its the Taj3 from the resources section of this site (currently page 5) unless you are referring to the .obj file I made when trying to export it I did delete that particular one but I could easily export it again and send it to you if the problem re-occurs. on a side note there are UV maps provided with the file when I downloaded it and if I use those maps then the edge selection works perfectly I'm able to get the edges selected without problems and to sew them together; however, there are parts of the scene that are not mapped properly so the texture stretches and warps over some areas which is why I was mapping them out myself when I encountered these problems.

Last edited by treazon; 20-10-2011 at 09:45 PM.