Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-03-2012 , 06:37 PM

Encountering Dynamically Animated Surface problem

Hello Everyone!
I was working on a project about
populating a high polygon
model on a dynamically animated surface via MEL. This MEL instructs
Maya to randomly copy the model 10 times.
When I run the script, Maya copy just 3 times and then would crashed and closed. What should I have done to got rid of this problem?
I need to populate hundreds of these models, please show me a reliable method
to do this.
It should be noted that my computer hardwares are suitable {CPU: intel core 2 duo E7400 2.8 GHz; 3 GHz of RAM DDR II; VGA: GeForce 9600}.
Thanks

# 2 09-03-2012 , 07:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
How high poly is this? It might be that your hardware is not suitable after all. I'm assuming you mean 3GB RAM; this isn't a tremendous amount when working with very high poly models, and won't be enough if you need hundreds of them. You can create low poly proxies for populating the scene.

# 3 09-03-2012 , 07:37 PM

How high poly is this? It might be that your hardware is not suitable after all. I'm assuming you mean 3GB RAM; this isn't a tremendous amount when working with very high poly models, and won't be enough if you need hundreds of them. You can create low poly proxies for populating the scene.

Thanks a million!
I think you're student of biomedical communication (like as Eddy Xuan at XSI studio), thus I can tell you my scene was a cell membrane coverd with several transferrin molecules (along with receptors) and each complex contains 312758 faces. Win xp, just can use 3GB out of 4GB RAM.
1. How can I create and use low poly proxies for populating the scene?
2. Do you have any suggeston for rendering this scene?

# 4 09-03-2012 , 08:34 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 09-03-2012 , 08:51 PM
EduSciVis-er

I think you're student of biomedical communication (like as Eddy Xuan at XSI studio)

I am indeed. You mean AXS Studio. They're awesome.

I don't know if this will help, but if you don't want worry about proxies, you could try just viewing the viewport in bounding box mode (in shading panel menu).

# 6 09-03-2012 , 10:28 PM
Technical Director
You could also play around with MR proxies.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.