Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-07-2013 , 03:38 PM

help with complex model?

Hi,

I'm trying to model my motorcycle (Honda CBF 125) in Maya 2013 and i'm having difficulties modeling the engine as it's quite a complex shape when it comes to 3D modeling. Here is the reference image i took of my bikes engine:

user added image

I'm having problems where the beveled bit intersects the cylinder bit of the engine here's my model so far with the wire frame:

user added image

how would I model this in as much quads as possible? Is there any videos or tutorials on techniques for modeling this type of object?

# 2 19-07-2013 , 07:38 PM
any body got any ideas on what to do?

# 3 20-07-2013 , 12:16 AM
I would probably start at the back of it, with the overall flat slice and extrude working my way forward and changing the topology as it got to the next layer. It's not a trivial shape to create, and would probably be quite a bit easier to make in something like 3D coat, or zbrush.

https://mayazest.blogspot.com/
Production Tips and Tutorials!
# 4 20-07-2013 , 01:25 AM
glasseye
I'd do it in subDs the creasing options are good for a lot of the join work.
Regarding quads - as a rule you need to be careful where you put tri's you can get away with a convergence like the top of a cylinder but if you stick one randomly in a mesh it messes up the math behind smooth functions or displacement. Not too bad on a solid object but on a character to be rigged it can lead to a mess

# 5 20-07-2013 , 01:50 AM
Lifetime Member
Use separate geo mate, it does not have to be one piece. If you want it as one geo, still do it separately and then join them up later.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 20-07-2013 , 02:15 AM
Lifetime Member
I have attached the way I might do it, with unfinished work of course. I left history on so you an see what I did. As you can see my geo is separate and I am extruding edges and adding edge loops in the process of joining it together. Hope this helps

Cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip mike.zip (161.0 KB, 246 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 20-07-2013 at 02:19 AM.
# 7 20-07-2013 , 04:39 PM
I created both the shapes separately however i need to connect the two shapes as there are sharp and smooth edges to the overall engine case. As you can see in the image below the engine case as the back is a very smooth curve between the two parts.

user added image

This by the way is a reattempt I did start this ages ago and gave up because i just couldn't get the topology to work properly. Here is the previous attempt and it's very poor topology so i just deleted it and started again rather than try and sort it out it just seemed easier to redo it but trying to maintain good topology.

user added image

And this is the wire frame without smooth preview on:

user added image

But this was really bad topology and needed a lot of work to clean it up properly. I just can't figure out how to mix the sharp and soft edges of the engine casing and also not get any unwanted pinching or creases etc. Is there any free tutorials out there that explain in detail about topology in 3D modeling?

# 8 20-07-2013 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
Digital Tutours have a nice tutorial on doing a motorcycle.

Well worth the price.

# 9 21-07-2013 , 02:29 AM
Lifetime Member
I dont know if its my net or PC but all of your images are gone? Again I would start the way I have and using extrude on edges, adding loops with poly split and getting it out that way. Its really not a hard one, just takes a bit of thinking and there will be moments you add/delete etc etc. Creating edges with split poly, then extruding edges and merging verts etc...just takes some time. What I did in that file only took about 30 mins....a few hours and you would have the basic shape, then tweak. There is always a ton of tweaking on mechanical parts, there is one here

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=186&sub_cat=9

Its not a motorbike but the technique is solid and gets you thinking outside of the square for a complex object (trust me I tried it without this tut and was stumped). Its not free but its worth it.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 10 18-08-2013 , 09:19 AM
looks good i think

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^