Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 27-12-2006 , 07:28 AM
Senior Software Developer
If you are having issue with Bump Maps, why not try displacement maps or use an ashlie bump (Maya 7). WIll take a while to render and get right a I stated above, but it will give you nicer results.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 17 28-12-2006 , 06:13 PM
Simply Maya OG
My problem is Im having trouble making the actual map. I have Maya 8, and I dont see an 'ashlie' map anywhere. If its in Maya 8, where can I find it?

- Hybrid
# 18 28-12-2006 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
Normal map could work? Then you wouldnt have to worry about geometry cos it wouldnt exist on your lowpoly model? I'm looking into normal mapping at the moment and from what i gather it could work well for this type of thing.

# 19 29-12-2006 , 03:49 AM
Senior Software Developer
Then doing a normal map, you would be able to boolean the holes on the detailed model...

Theres really lots of way to do this type of thing, for the Ashli Shader you will need to active it in the Plug-Ins (Windows>Perfereces>Plug-In Manager), find a mll file starting with ashsumthin. Not on my PC at the moment so I cant confirm the mll file name.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 20 29-12-2006 , 04:04 AM
You don't have to model the holes to use a normal map. A normal map is an image. So you can do that map in photoshop.

# 21 29-12-2006 , 04:08 AM

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
You don't have to model the holes to use a normal map. A normal map is an image. So you can do that map in photoshop.

Yeah true, but if you wanted you could model a high poly work (say either in maya or Z brush) then take this back into maya and generate a normal map from the high poly to the low poly, which if your not spot on in PS could be a right pain to do correctley.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 22 29-12-2006 , 04:56 AM
Yep I know, but the point here was that it was a pain to -model- the holes. And if he did model them he didn't have to use a normal map since he already modeled them. Unless he would use the model for realtime rendering.

# 23 03-01-2007 , 12:17 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with the Holidays and all. And I'm down near the New Paltz area, about an hour south on the Thruway.

Anyways, It's looking good thus far. I'd say there are a few minor things to address, aside from the holes.

The hands are a bit flat. I'd round them out a bit. Then, the nose is a bit too thick at the base, IMHO. If you look at SB, his nose is skinnier at the base, and then kinda thickens in the middle, and gets thin again at the tip. That may get rid of the 'Pinnochio' look.

And last, IMHO, I would model the 'holes'. It shouldn't be too hard. It'll just bump your geometry numbers waaaay up. But, I think it'd be your best bet if you plan on doing anything with the model later on.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist