Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 61 21-01-2004 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
that looks more and more like it.. You might have spotted these your self already and not to it yet. but .. all I could really see on this one.. is its a little to light under the tred on the right. Where its getting real close to the pavement. also I don't think you would see the support wheels for the tread under there as well also. I would just shadow that in post some.. The cannon is a bit more blurry than some of the building features around it.. the rest gets away with it but the cannon being over some of it, doesn’t. Maybe just sharpen it in post also.. I think you might be good to go thin.. cant wait to see...

# 62 21-01-2004 , 11:25 AM
I think I know what the problem with the cannon might be, i thnk it's that there is an edge blur in the comp to make it sit a little better, obviously on the rest of the image it's not so obvious but on the cannon it will be more visible. I'll take a look at it. Thanks Pony

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 63 21-01-2004 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
Looking better and better. Question is why is it painted in desert camo in the middle of an english town? user added image
I think the overhead light reflects a bit too strongly off the sloped front of the turret compared to the rest of the scene.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 64 21-01-2004 , 12:28 PM
it's in desert camo because I tried it in green camo, and it looked pretty crappy, so I thought I'd do it lke its been on the news of late.... user added image also it's an american tank and the idea of subtlety is general lost on Americans isnt it ? user added image Also it actually looks really cool in black and white so I may end up doing that as an experiement...

The light on the front is strong because it's a flat plane basically so the light is bouncing back off of it pretty strongly. There's not a huge amount I can do about it (and i kinda like it actually user added image) but it's gonna come down to how it looks when it's moving

Alan

IMDB
# 65 21-01-2004 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber
It's a british tank. I know the americans use the M1A1/A2 Abrams, which is slightly similar, but not identical.

The Challenger 1 has been in service with the British Army since 1983. It was originally produced by the Royal Ordnance Factory in Leeds, which was acquired by Vickers Defence Systems in 1986. It is planned to begin withdrawing the Challenger 1 from service in 1998 and it should be completely replaced by Challenger 2 by 2002. Challenger 1 took part in Operation Desert Storm where the Iraqi forces failed to take a single vehicle out of combat while Challenger destroyed roughly 300 Iraqi tanks.

# 66 21-01-2004 , 01:47 PM
now you're being picky user added image lets assume that it's in the future when britain has finally become the 52nd state of America (which is the way we are headed!!) user added image

IMDB
# 67 21-01-2004 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
I'm always picky user added image

# 68 21-01-2004 , 01:56 PM
Haha. I think the compoite looks great. Watch adding those bolts because this armor is a composite that is not bolted together. You might want to add clevises and pull cables with extra threads. bags and stuff like that. I think you are getting close to being finished.

# 69 21-01-2004 , 01:57 PM

I think you are getting close to being finished.

lol I wish! I have yet to see this thing moving along yet! as far as stills go it's almost there but I feel that I am gonna feel some pain when I start rendering it out as a sequence user added image

Thanks for the praise though

Alan

IMDB
# 70 21-01-2004 , 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
now you're being picky user added image lets assume that it's in the future when britain has finally become the 52nd state of America (which is the way we are headed!!) user added image

.. whats the 51st?

# 71 21-01-2004 , 01:58 PM

.. whats the 51st?

I have no idea I thought there were 51 nevermind. There's so many that I can't ever keep track of all of them. My point is still valid though user added image

IMDB
# 72 21-01-2004 , 04:02 PM
I love you reference image and this project is awsome. I look forward to the animation. There are a couple edges that stand out to be. I could be wrong but these seem sharp and without chamfers. There are other too. I would add one even if it is small. It catches the light.

Attached Thumbnails
# 73 21-01-2004 , 04:18 PM
I agree with you about the one on the turret, rather than chamfering it (which may require UV tweaking) I may add some clasps or something to alter the light in that area.

I'm glad people seem to be enjoying this project. It's the most photoreal thing I've ever done and so far people here and at work also have been really nice about it so that is very cool and encouraging for me.

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 74 21-01-2004 , 04:26 PM
If you cut the edge the UV tweeking will be very minimal.

# 75 21-01-2004 , 04:51 PM
yeha I guess you're right... hmm we'll see If I can get away with putting something else there it might be better. Maybe some nice clasps or something just to add some more detail.

Alan

IMDB