Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 106 14-10-2005 , 03:44 PM
Subscriber
wow very beautiful ...I cant believe the caliber of some of you guys/girls creating your works of arts ..There are only two so far I have seen that are just breathtaking and this is one of them. I love the work .I cant wait to see the colors and other details come alive ...

question . How long have you been doing this and do you do this for a living ? sorry if they are stupid questions just wondering is all or if they have been asked over and over .

matthew

Last edited by mmoore5553; 14-10-2005 at 03:46 PM.
# 107 14-10-2005 , 06:17 PM
:blush:Wow! You folks are WAY to kind! "God of game modeling"? Seriously NOT! Haha ... too funny, dude!user added image I'm not nearly as brave as those few souls who have dared to limit their poly count. I try to keep things tidy but I don't think I've honed my modeling instincts enough to go that low. I guess its a bit like the limbo. How low can you go? If I went that low I'd fall on my ass! user added image

Joed8349- I modeled both bird and rider using all quads but the triangle count is something like 15k for the bird and 20k for the rider. There are of course all the extras and the lance which I have yet to do.

mmoore553- I've been using Maya since last summer. I've done 2d illustration for years but rarely professionally. I am just now starting to feel like I'm getting my head around using Maya ... barely! I first got a taste of 3d using a program called Carrera Studio about 6 months before Maya (what I now refer to as the Dark Ages)

Dave

# 108 14-10-2005 , 07:55 PM
I have one word for you: "amazing", your work is simple amazing user added image :attn: :attn:
I'm you fan user added imageuser added image user added imageuser added image

If you work in some game project I'm sure you'll be an success user added image

I'm so ancious to see you all project finish user added imageuser added image

Best Regards

Gamester

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 109 14-10-2005 , 08:50 PM

# 110 14-10-2005 , 10:36 PM
Hold it JUST like that... it looks asolutely percfect. I'm telling you... you have some awesome skill both at 2d and at 3d... and I love your models and textures.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 111 15-10-2005 , 07:52 AM
its been a few days since i last checked in... and i am really impressed by your progress.
:bow:
don't leave your models at just entries for a competition. animate them... would be very nice.
make a game and i would love to play...user added image

# 112 15-10-2005 , 08:11 AM
I'd say slightly more contrast on the shadows of the last row or two of rounded feathers (on the head). It'll then give the impression that the feathers are modelled instead of just being textured.

Looking great user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 113 15-10-2005 , 09:19 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome job with the texturing and I agree with t1ck135, those last 2 rows of feathers on the head could use a little more contrast, but if thats the look your going for I can understand.

# 114 15-10-2005 , 03:15 PM
Yes. The head feathers need some help. That is what I've been struggling with. Contrast will help and I have yet to try bump mapping and specular highlights. I think I'm going to jump to texturing the saddle and creating a weapon and come back to this later.

Utpal- hey,man! How are things in India? There is a brand new complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes that has just been published. It has absolutely everything ever printed in it. Too friggin cool! I saw it and thought of you and your Hobbes model.

Someday soon I will attempt some animation. At the very least I need to create some simple rig to deform and pose this model. If I finish the textures by the end of the month the rig will be my next step.

No work for me so more updates later today ...

Dave

# 115 16-10-2005 , 11:58 PM
What's the polycount?

# 116 17-10-2005 , 04:51 AM
I'm gonna try to bang out all the rest of the textures by the end of this week so that I can use the rest of the time left to tweak what I'm not happy with. The polycount for everything is about 55,000 tris. Although some of the straps and such are a bit too dense. Its always suprising to me how fast things add up!
https://tenthchoir.com/Sept_Oct_Challenge033.jpg

# 117 17-10-2005 , 07:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The head feathers need some help.

Ahem!!

:bandit:
Jay

# 118 17-10-2005 , 08:14 AM
looking good user added image

I preferred the birds neck without the extra feathers as it makes it look scrawnier user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 119 17-10-2005 , 08:53 PM
I hear ya, Jay! I'm not sure I wanna take that route (if I get what you're refering to user added image . I'm expirementing with a few ways of laying down the feather texture for the head and body. I'll post some results soon. I think I may be on to something cool and easy ... maybe!

T1ck135 - Point taken on the neck. I think the extra feathers give it a bit of a Dr Seuss look which I like, but I think I could go either way. There is a certain point in creating something (usually drawing or painting) that I begin to obsess on adding detail and its not always the way to go. Hmmm ...

Dave

# 120 17-10-2005 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
people being obsess in maya ??? I dont believe it ..trying to reach perfection in making something ..never

made me think of something ...if anyone seen young frankenstein ...with gene wilder in it. he obsess in making perfect monster and we seen how that turned out lol

But serious I love this character and i loved joust