Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-07-2012 , 03:33 AM

new to 3D

Hi all,

I am new to the 3D scene and am currently using the trial version of Maya and love what i see so far. i have been following a couple of tutorials just to see how some of the basics are done.

The plan is to do an online course here in Australia to learn properly and develop skills.

One of the questions i have is do you need multiple programs/software to render,animate, sculpt, etc?

or can you do a full creation/animation just using Maya?

As i have read that most projects are created with multiple programs - Maya, Zbrush, etc

any info and advice for a newbie would be much appreciated

thanks

Marc

# 2 18-07-2012 , 04:31 AM
Lifetime Member
I wouldnt worry about courses as yet mate. I was going to try some here in Perth but they are all expensive and worth nothing that you cant start off with here. First off do what you are and do some tutorials then branch out and try some on your own. Consider also the limited need for this kind of work here mate, I dont see a hell of a lot of local gigs.

If you do want to pursue it, you will have to find a niche, not everyone is an all rounder and there are certainly LOTS of different aspects to the industry which Im sure others in here will tell you.

Stick with modelling for now and learn the tools to do that, you might find you prefer texturing or lighting etc etc etc, this is something that you will discover for yourself.

Lots of good stuff and good people here mate...good luck. Yes there are multiple programs, basics would be Maya and Photoshop (or GIMP)....

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 18-07-2012 , 04:46 AM
Cheers for the response Bullet.
I was purely interested in 3D as a hobby and to set myself some new challenges. Maybe look at a career path one day down the track. But plenty to learn before crossing that bridge.
Do you know of some good free tutorial sites for maya?

cheers

Marc

# 4 18-07-2012 , 07:19 AM
Lifetime Member
You are on one mate. Got a few good freebies in here, worth learning too! If you have some Johnny Cash grab the Lighting, Surfing with the alien, there are some good ones to choose from and worth the look. I started with the Spitfire tut as it is an all rounder. I have since started re doing the Spitfire without the tutorial, as I wasnt happy with my result (Surveyors thing you know)...but its a good all rounder. It depends though whether you wish to do hard surface or organics, I dont like characters YET.....prefer planes and cars etc...go for it mate! If you can get "Maya essentials" I think its called, thats a useful book.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 18-07-2012 , 01:11 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 18-07-2012 , 11:11 PM
Thanks guys for the opinions on book. I have got one called 'Introducing Autodesk Maya 2013' that i have started, but would like to get a couple more to go through.