Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-07-2011 , 12:29 AM

Simple booleans

Hey guys, so im working on a room right now, and its a sci fi room, and i have a box, with normals reversed, but it has no thickness to the walls. and im trying to boolean some details into them, but since the walls have no thickness, it doesnt work. and for some reason, when i try to extract them, the original wall gets moved since it has no thickness to it. what im trying to do is just give these walls some depth so I can easily boolean drill into them

# 2 14-07-2011 , 01:02 AM
please give a screenshot because what you are saying is confusing. A cube does have thickness. Each side of a cube is a plane and even though a plane has no thickness I can boolean into it!

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 14-07-2011 , 03:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with ct mate....a planar face does not need thickness to boolean into....the two 'surfaces' are what gets booleaned. I think adding thickness will then create 2 booleans as it will try to interpolate 3 surfaces instead of 2. Can I ask why the box normals are reversed??? There are 3 options for booleans and they will operate differently according to which surface you have picked first....give us a screenshot that will help.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 14-07-2011 , 03:41 AM
yes I forgot to mention surface direction matters (ty bullet for reminding me). For booleans to work as expected the surface normal's of the parts being booleaned must be in the same direction. Booleans will work if the directions are mixed but you will get different results the n expected (for instance a boolean difference might result in the first part being removed or you might end up with a union or intersection).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675