Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-06-2007 , 06:18 AM

In-Air Objects

Im building a scene based on the place I work at. I have created a sign to float in the air kind of like a bilboard you would see on futurama. I can keyframe the sign to make it appear as if its hovering but there has to be a much more efficient way to do this also a faster way. any ideas? Im using maya 7 but I have 8.5 as well if that would make it easier. btw i hate 8.5.. Thanks!

# 2 04-06-2007 , 01:08 AM
Yeah, get used to 8.5 because it's really a lot easier to use. Yeah, I'd just copy and paste the keyframes.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 3 04-06-2007 , 01:33 AM
You could use dynamics, make it a rigid body then apply a slight turbulance field to it, maybe with an expressin with a touch of noise to get a random movement. oh and dont have gravity, as you want it to flaot, LOL!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 09-06-2007 , 09:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the input.. Your ideas will help me in other projects as well. BTW There are some awesome new features in 8.5 that I do like but I hate having to get used to the new menus (IE - Extrude face is in a different place) But I really hate the new drag system for creating simple primitives..

# 5 10-06-2007 , 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Hex3d
Awesome! Thanks for the input.. Your ideas will help me in other projects as well. BTW There are some awesome new features in 8.5 that I do like but I hate having to get used to the new menus (IE - Extrude face is in a different place) But I really hate the new drag system for creating simple primitives..

if you go to the menu bar, then create polygon primitive, for example, down near the bottom there is a tickbox for interactive creation. Turn it off. same for Nurbs. Then you are back to the normal and wonderful world of doing it yourself user added image

# 6 10-06-2007 , 07:16 AM
Senior Software Developer
The interactive feature is a MAX way of creating geo, and personally its the first thing i turn off on a new install of Maya.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 11-06-2007 , 12:47 PM
I looked up interactive creation in the internal maya help to get a better understanding of it and it doesnt list anything.. (or its not obvious) Other than the term itself what exactly is "interactive creation"?