Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-10-2013 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber

Displacement Banding

I have a poly plane that I am dispacing using a 16bit tiff, but it leaves me with what I can only describe as banding accross the terrain. I have displaced in both blender and houdini also and it works fine... Why is displacing in maya so rubbish in comparison to other software!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-10-2013 , 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
If it's 16bit then it shouldn't band like that. Can you email me the texture file?

- Genny
# 3 30-10-2013 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
Sent you email with link to downlaod user added image thanks

# 4 31-10-2013 , 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
I tested it and it's not the texture, it rendered fine. How do you have your displacement setup?

user added image

- Genny
# 5 31-10-2013 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
I'm using the displaceD plugin so I can elevate the terrain, see it in the view port and keep it at quads rather then having to triangulate it. Are you creating the displacement through the mentalray approximation editor? Do you mind sharing how you have gone about it as this is one thing that I still don't quite get in Maya.

The height map I created in world machine. Getting the correct scale has also proven to be a bit of a pain. It is supposed to be 1k square terrain but now looking at the details within your render in not sure they match that scale.

Still not sure on the best way of texturing terrain, each time I have tried it has turned out differently. Is this topic covered in the 'Realistic Outdoor Environments' tutorials?

# 6 01-11-2013 , 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
I don't know if terrain texture is covered in that video, I think it's more about vegetation and lighting but it doesn't hurt to ask David or Nilla and be sure.

First time hearing about this plugin and yes I am using a displacement approximation node with the following settings:

Approx Method : Spatial
Approx Style : Fine
Min Subdiv : 4
Max Sudiv : 8
Length : 0.001
View Dependent: off
Sharp : 0.000

2 mins on my i7 3.4GHz 16GB RAM machine

user added image

Spatial has given me the best results without too much hassle, it gives me access to the "fine" approx style, the way it triangulates the mesh gives pretty nice smooth details(especially with the case of this high frequency texture) and even breaks up the object for less memory consumption.

Min/Max subdvision values clamp the degree to which the surface is tessellated.

Length value determines triangle size, the mesh will keep subdividing until either the edges of the triangles are no bigger than this value or it hits the max subdiv cap you've specified. Smaller values mean smaller triangles, more detail(and added rendertime!).

View Dependent is tied to Length. Checking it on tells the renderer to see edges in pixels instead of object space, so it will keep subdividing the mesh until the edges are no bigger than x pixels(determined by Length value). This can be handy since, edges that are far away from or unseen by the camera will not be finely subdivided and you can get away with larger Length values. I've found a few issues with it though, like blurring in some areas and bad artifacts with other approximation methods.

Sharp controls the smoothness of the surface, a value of 1.000 will result in a faceted appearance.

I'll be honest, the UI could be a bit more helpful, especially with something as render intensive as displacement, it took a lot of trial and error but I'm getting there!

- Genny
# 7 06-11-2013 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your help with this!

# 8 12-11-2013 , 08:16 AM

I'm using the displaceD plugin so I can elevate the terrain, see it in the view port and keep it at quads rather then having to triangulate it. Are you creating the displacement through the mentalray approximation editor? Do you mind sharing how you have gone about it as this is one thing that I still don't quite get in Maya.

The height map I created in world machine. Getting the correct scale has also proven to be a bit of a pain. It is supposed to be 1k square terrain but now looking at the details within your render in not sure they match that scale.

Still not sure on the best way of texturing terrain, each time I have tried it has turned out differently. Is this topic covered in the 'Realistic Outdoor Environments' tutorials?

If this plugin you are using is keeping the mesh quads then i suppose this plugin doesn't change any topology of the plane you have, so i would guess increasing the number of subdivision of the displacement (or the mesh if you have to) will get better results. I think the original displacement that is in maya would leave you with better results

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^