Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-02-2005 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber

Duplicate polys/points ontop each other?

Hi,
I am a Noob to Maya, but familiar with LW and MODO. I am trying to learn Maya via tutorials and such, but I have a question.

I have posted some scrren pics of a front monster torso that I have and a rear leg.

As separate pieces, you can see in pic 1 that when I select a poly it shows 1 face selected in Heads up display. This makes sense. Likewise when I select a point, it says 1 point is selected.

In pic 2, this is the same for the rear leg that I have.

However, when I go to polygon-combine, everything seems good, but when I select a face, the Heads up shows 2 faces selected. If I select a point, it shows 2 selected.

If I then select directly on the face and delete, there is two on top of each other.

In LW and MODO and such, this is no good and will certainly create problems later by having polys and points on top of one another.

Maybe this is how Maya works? Please clarify for me.

Thanks

Pic 1:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-02-2005 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
Pic 2:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-02-2005 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
Pic 3:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-02-2005 , 05:46 AM
Subscriber
Nobody wants to help me?

I am being driven mad by why Maya does this. I have been playing with this all day wondering if I am doing something wrong since nobody will answer me.

I have played with this some more in the most simple of tests.
If you create a poly cube, it is fine with however many divisions you assign it. If you create a default subd cube it is fine as well.

As soon as you take a subd primitive cube (or anything) and convert it to polys, it doubles. Why is this?

Here are more pics:

Pic 1- default subd cube in poly mode to show 24 faces in heads up.

Pic 2- convert subd to poly window witth vertices setting which is what I want.

pic 3-heads up display shows 48 faces now instead of 24. If I select a face and delete or move it, there is another underneath.

I have played with ither settings including making the meshes single sided and it is the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 20-02-2005 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber
pic2

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 20-02-2005 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber
pic 3

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 21-02-2005 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber
Still nobody wants to help me?

I have posted this in 3 MAYA forums. No answers in any of them.

Is this normal for Maya?
Am I doing something wrong?

A simple answer is all I ask.

# 8 21-02-2005 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
Okay, I can answer one of the questions. When you convetr subdiv to polygon, be sure the subdiv is in normal mode vice polygon proxy mode. For some reason if you convert with proxy selected it creates that dual geomety you're getting.

Still looking at the other problem. How were the polygons created for the torso/legs of the beast in the previous images?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."