Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 09-10-2007 , 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Joopson’s correct. They fixed it in 2008, but for 8.5 you can use the cut faces tool.

It's quite a time saver too and the lines come out straight a lot of the time. You could select a face and cut it that way, and the just connect the loose vertexes(or verteces whatever they're called.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 17 09-10-2007 , 05:06 PM

My way...

I moved all of the vertices the that are beyond the line I wanted to cut, onto the angles of the square...
That way it's as accurate as it gets and it even saved me some unwanted polygons while extruding the edges of the square...

Anyway, does someone know why this bug is happening?
In some cases the split tool works fine while cutting through several faces...
I think it has something to do with the plane of the edges (It shouldn't be even) , because when I tried to cut a sphere or a curved panel (Polygon Modeling Tutorial - Helmet's face shield) it worked just fine.

Also, can I expect a patch or something of that sort?

# 18 18-10-2007 , 01:22 AM
I had this exact same problem. On most objects (including new primitives) I could use the Split Polygon tool to cut through several adjacent faces with just two clicks. However, on some objects it simply refused to work across more than one face. I tried the usual stuff of deleting history and freezing transforms to try and get the object closer to a 'clean' state. In the end I tried what we refer to around our studio as The Cube Method and combined the object with a standard poly primitive cube. Bingo bango, it works.

The Cube Method has fixed more random modelling issues in Maya than I care to mention. To the point where one of our in-house MEL scripters is going to have a look at automating the process for us.

# 19 18-10-2007 , 09:19 AM
I tried combining it with a cube but it doesn't cut the faces user added image.
Edit:I figured out I cab use booleans: union...
there's also no way that I found to make something snap to an edge (which could've made it a bit easier).
Can you explain what's 'the cube method'?

Last edited by BennyK; 24-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.