Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-02-2006 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber

Noob Head

Hello Folks,

I have been lurking around here for a while picking up stuff like a vacuum cleaner.
Its about time I did a bit more participation. So....
This is my first WIP, a human head initially based on Kurts ninja tut, and ably assisted by the fascinating thread posted by Falott. ( Excellent modelling, sir, and great advice from Jay et al. Inspirational.)
I'd be real pleased if anyone feels like commenting.

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/Picture 5.png[/IMG]

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/Picture 6.png[/IMG]

Cheers,
mic

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-02-2006 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber
Oh, and here's the wire.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 10-02-2006 , 09:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
micgaz

Thanks you for your words of kindness, its nice to know people appreciate my blabbering LOL!!

So your first head, well its a bloody good start!! Please do me a favour on this and take your time with it. Ive seen countless heads that are allegedly 'finished' when clearly they arent, rushing stuff thru is a case of 'one step forward, two steps back' so...

It looks like you are using reference (i hope you are) just keep an eye on the placement of facial features, keeping them in proportion and this should turn out really well. Oh and dont rush the ears!!

Once you get a bit further along we'll eliminate that tri in the cheek and move the edge poles there too but keep going for now, also keep the geometry low until youve shaped it out more, I feel theres too much in the nasal area right now.

Look forward to the rest, happy modeling!!

Jay

# 4 12-02-2006 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber
hi Jay,

thanks for taking the time to reply, and for the encouragement. You make some very interesting points, and I have thought carefully about what you say.
Yes, I am using reference, this head is modelled on Kurts Ninja, and you were so right about the placement of features, as I found out when I tried to dupicate the half I'm working on....I thought it was looking pretty good as a half. Unfortunately doubled up he looks a freak.

Hmm,...I am going back over the geometry now, based on the side view you posted for Falott in "Celebrity Head".
And yes I will take however long it takes.
Thanks Jay.

Attached Images
# 5 12-02-2006 , 01:51 PM
Hey dude...that's quite impresive for your first head!
The upper head looks a beat strange..Too narrow in my opinion..

I posted a reference by Onno van Braam:

REFERENCE

# 6 13-02-2006 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
I have to agree with Fubar on this one, the looks to narrow, other than that, good job.

Death is certain, Life is not.
# 7 14-02-2006 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
Hi fellas,

thanks for the comments, everything will be listened to and learnt from.
So as per my last post I have reworked the geometry to attempt to fix the dodgy proportions I came up with first time.

I did try to keep the geometry low as Jay advised, and have lightened the mesh a little round the nose. Somehow though those lines just crept back in.:p
I am quite pleased with the geometry now, it seems to me to have a much better flow than previously, but I hope those who know more will let me know on that.
When I was redoing the mesh it seemed to me that the placement of 5-cornered verts was the key, so I tried to get them properly placed and the rest kind of followed. Am I on to something there? Please let me know.

Yes, I know the area where the ear will go is a compllete mess, but I really wasn't worried about this now. I wanted to get the rest right now, and deal with the ear area when I have worked out the ear geometry.

Thats a long enough post for now. More will follow.
Thanks again for your advice, appreciate it,
mic

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/Picture 4.png[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 14-02-2006 , 11:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Micgaz

Watch the depth on the back of the head, it needs to be more that that. Also the width of the head, as the Guys have said already, is too narrow, the width of a typical head is 5 eyes across, thats including the space between the eyes across the nose, so: outer head, eye, nose bridge,eye, outer head = 5eyes.

Good going though, and its good to see you worry about the ear later, and get on with the rest first instead of rushing thru. Try to leave around 6 -8 polys for a rough ear shape, you should be able to do something quite reasonable then. get rid of the neck right now because the geometry there is dictating the polys for the ear and causing alot of tri's to appear, which are easily avoidable, you can take the edge flow straight from the cheeks to the back of the head, deleting excess edges as you go, that should tidy that up a fair bit

Cheers
Jay

# 9 20-02-2006 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
Hello,

A little update for you. I have tried to address the proportions of my head., and think it is looking a bit better, thanks for the advice guys. I have had a stab at the ears, and probably introduced some more problems in the process. I have had trouble with ears before,(oliphant tut) and seem to have learnt a few tricks there. Its still a bit of a bugger though, maybe extruding from a base set of polys might be a better way for me. Hmmm.

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/Picture 4.png[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 26-02-2006 , 12:37 PM
Subscriber
Hi there,

I have moved onto the body now, not because the head is finished, but because I had reached the point where my efforts at improvemnt weren't really getting anywhere. I figure that I can get the figure to a certain stage, and then go back and hopefully refine things with fresh eyes.

Anyway, here is a pic or two of progress with the body. I'd love to hear what you think.....

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/body nice!.png[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by micgaz; 26-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.
# 11 26-02-2006 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
And the wire....

[IMG]/Users/michaelgazley/Desktop/bodywire.png[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 27-02-2006 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
Impressive. i certainly want to follow thiss up.
Keep up the good work.

If god created the world. then it is my turn now.