Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 29-05-2004 , 08:39 PM

My Character concept sketch

Hello everyone! I have decided to FINALLY post the concept sketch of the character I would like to model...I am not sure if I should use my current head model for the character or if I should create an entirely new head...what do you all think? Anyway, I sketched this by hand, but the background was altered in photoshop to get rid of the excess marks and such. Everything else is by hand though. This character is very Final Fantasy inspired. Also, I wanted to say thanks Peltra for the advice about the neck...I will see what I can do to fix it. Let me know what you all think of my idea! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 29-05-2004 at 09:08 PM.
# 32 30-05-2004 , 10:49 AM
wow you good at drawing! <3

# 33 30-05-2004 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber
some very cool concept user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 34 30-05-2004 , 07:45 PM
Technical Director
No problem. Its a very cool scetch. Maybe you should put in a kind of Gun holster. Like Yuna has in Final fantasy X to X-2. And the right foot looks a little weird. And maybe make a more final fantasy hair-cut.

Keep up the good work. user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 30-05-2004 at 07:48 PM.
# 35 30-05-2004 , 08:43 PM
I wanted to say thanks Zyk0tik, RubberChicken, and Peltra for the compliments about my concept sketch! user added image I am glad you all like it! user added image Thanks also Peltra for the advice for my character. I am not sure if I will include a gun holster though, since for my character I am not supposed to be a gunner really, mostly a warrior. If you ever played FF X-2 then I am sure you are aware of the different dress classes they have for the characters. I really did not want to include a cape since I did not want my character looking TOO much like Yuna or any of the other Final Fantasy X or X-2 characters. But who knows...maybe I will decide to include it later on! user added image I will also see what I can do for the hair...what is the best way to model Final Fantasy-like hair in Maya? Any advice anyone?? user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 36 31-05-2004 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
For the hair I would say polygons, but thats just me.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 37 31-05-2004 , 09:06 PM
Technical Director
Well if its not in maya I would say NURBS curves that are lofted, or polygons. Nurbs is just a tweaking game after you loft. But in maya I would say paint effects or polys.

Last edited by NextDesign; 31-05-2004 at 09:08 PM.
# 38 02-06-2004 , 08:14 PM
Thanks RubberChicken and Peltra for the advice for the hair! user added image I will just have to fool around with different methods and see what works best. I will post updates of my model hopefully sometime soon.

# 39 10-07-2004 , 05:08 AM
I like the elongated features on the face, its really well done for your first face model. it sorta reminds me of the woman in the video tape from The Ring, except not evil. And that can only be good ;]

www.ahearnart.com
aim: kaltnue303

JOIN THE 3D USERS MYSPACE GROUP:
https://groups.myspace.com/3DNERDS
# 40 10-07-2004 , 05:51 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my head model bahearn81! user added image I really appreciate it! I am thinking of maybe remodeling the head in Maya for my character model though...I am thinking of using Polys for it. I will have to see though. I am hoping to get started on it as soon as my summer class is over! user added image

# 41 13-07-2004 , 04:48 AM
Hi everyone! I am finally beginning to "slowly" work some more on my character model. :bored: I am just basically trying to finish tweeking up the head before I go on to create the body. I elongated the chin some more as well as the cheeks and several other features. I also had to do a LOT of smoothing out, since I noticed some parts were still rough on my last head model. It is completely bald again right now, since I hope to model the hair in Maya... however, I do have one question for everybody. Right now, my mouth is "closed.". Is it possible to make it "open" to add teeth and animate the mouth without having to completely remodel it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! user added image Also please C & C on what more I can do to improve the head before I go on to the body...

Attached Thumbnails

# 42 13-07-2004 , 02:24 PM
Technical Director
Looks cool CGPMaya84. If you delete the inner edges of the mouth so that it leaves a hole, that would help you alot. Check out this tutorial if you want to animate it: https://web.alfredstate.edu/ciat/tuto...xpressions.htm or the facial animation tutorial by Kurt on this site.

and for rigging your character: www.learningmaya.com and go to the animation page.

Hope this helps you

# 43 13-07-2004 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
model the innermouth with teeth and attach it to the mouth ... with blendshape you can open/close mouth user added image

# 44 14-07-2004 , 02:27 AM
Thanks for the advice on how to open the mouth Peltra and ransick! user added image Also Peltra, for some reason the pics for the link for the facial animation tutorial were not working...but thanks also for the links! user added image I will probably refer to Kurt's for the face when I decide to animate my character. Hopefully I can post an update sometime tomorrow starting on the body, since I will have the chance to work on it more then. :p

# 45 14-07-2004 , 09:42 PM
Technical Director