Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-08-2005 , 09:51 AM

floating city animation

hey everyone, looking for some comments and suggestions on my newest project. It's a floating city that I am animating a walk-through of. I've updated textures some since this but rendering takes about 18 hours and was just a small update... but you get the jist with this, it's about 6.55 mb and the link is here->floating city animation 6.55mb

Also, I plan to model more on the castle and such, make it more detailed.. and please remember this is game quality.. much like the game morrowind if you've played it.. the current uv's were painted in microsoft paint, I recently got photoshop up and running and have since redone all the uv's and made paths and such.. here is a preview with the new textures. As you can see i'll have more paths and worn areas, i've just started modeling just objects to lay around. Swords, boxes , chests and such. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

here is the pictures address as angelfire is picky about cross linking and such, can just paste into address bar.

https://www.angelfire.com/or2/sean/an...ating_city.jpg

user added image

for the movie, eithor left click and drag into address bar to buffer and feed the movie to watch it, or right click and select save target as and download it. If you just click the link angelfire talks about how it doesn't allow cross linking. Thanks

Last edited by spunky; 17-08-2005 at 09:59 AM.
# 2 17-08-2005 , 03:18 PM
The first song sounds like one from Everquest. The beginning sounds like the Plane of Torment's music. user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 3 17-08-2005 , 04:54 PM
Nice job user added image yep first song is ferubi from everquest, second is the morrowind theme song, in my final film all will be included in the credits, the credits right now was my test on just trying to make some. I'm a total newb to windows movie maker, so simple but yet hard to manage sometimes. Kinda stuck on what to model now, as in the video walk through a lot goes unseen and not sure how to model stuff and what to model to make it look better, always open to ideas. Thanks again!

# 4 17-08-2005 , 05:02 PM
I think the music matches well. Try Halls of Honor music too. It's very valiant and majestic-castle-like.
On the pathways throughout the castle, you can put weapon racks, chests, barrels, crates. Maybe you could put a window in the top tower and in that window, create a little spinning orb to generate some curiosity to the viewers. It could be the sorcerer's tower user added image

(What EQ server do you play on? I'm a 67 Magician, Rathe Server user added image)

# 5 17-08-2005 , 05:06 PM
Thanks for the input, sounds like a good idea for the castle. I havn't even started detailing it yet, that's the rough outline of the shape of it as you can probly tell. Also I thought about at the very end of the movie after it looks up and down the castle, the doors *when I get them on there* will slowly open and the camera could move towards them and right before they open enough to see inside it fades out? Or would that just make ppl to mad. Thanks again.

I have a 61 druid on tarew marr (was tarew marr now is druzzil, got merged) and a bunch of other 30+ alts and a level 12 monk on rathe! Currently mostly playin eq2 though on permafrost server.

# 6 17-08-2005 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber
texture texture textureuser added image

# 7 18-08-2005 , 06:45 PM
Well I just spent about 2 hours texturing just the side rails and poles. Gunna start rendering probably tonight when I go to bed and it should be done by the time I get off work tomorrow, then i'll try to compress it more than the first as 6.55 mb was still a little big size wise.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 18-08-2005 , 11:01 PM
Whoa, Great job! This is turning out really well.

[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][0][-][=]
[q][w][e][r][t][y][u][i][o][p][[][]][\]
[a][s][d][f][g][h][j][k][l][;]['][enter]
[z][x][c][v][b][n][m][,][.][/][shift]
[ctrl ][alt][\][____][insert][alt]

user added imageuser added image

# 9 19-08-2005 , 07:46 AM
BAD NEWS! After a nice 12 hour render in mental ray, there was one thing that messed it up.. Apparently eithor I was tired or something, and had added an outrageous bump map to a box in the scene, in regular software render it never rendered, and among the already 280 shaders I guess I missed it in hypershade mode and that messed up my render.. was horrid looking.. Anyways I recently began to model the castle! Hopefully will get this project done soon and be able to finish my detailed mech! Preview if ya wanna see it. C&C is welcome also on that.:attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 19-08-2005 , 01:49 PM
Sorry about the render user added image At least the file didn't become corrupt like mine does sometimes user added image

As for the robot, it's really cool. You must have put a lot of work into it. What's the poly count? user added image

# 11 19-08-2005 , 10:27 PM
36080 polys on the mech and it's complete. It just needs to be textured.

# 12 19-08-2005 , 10:37 PM
Wow, looks like it might be hard. "I wish you luck. Although, you won't be needing it. Fellow Norrathians have skill" user added image

user added image