Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-05-2006 , 08:39 PM
The Maya Mountain

May/June Challenge Rules and Guidelines!

Game Animation!

My next book, The Game Animator's Guide to Maya, will be releasing soon, so I thought it might be cool to have a challenge commemorating its release! In addition to our normal prizes, both the Normal and Newbie winners will recieve a signed copy of the book upon its release next month!

Now, this challenge is not just "animation" but is in fact video game animation specific. There are two main types of animation involved in games: Animation Cycles and Animation Sequences.

Cycles are looping actions, such as a walk cycle, run cycle, attack cycle, etc etc.

Sequences are actions that play through once and are not necessarily designed to repeat or loop, such as a death sequence, special attacks, conversations and acting sequences, etc.

--------------------

THE GOAL

Create an animation cycle AND/OR an animation sequence! Feel free to use any freely available rigs and characters you can find on the internet. If you create a character or rig for yourself, try not to let it take too much of your time as the judging point is the animation! Not the model, texturing, lighting, etc.

--------------------

1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Show your conceptual process as much as possible!

2) Label your thread thusly:

May/June - Norm or Noob - Your name

Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.

You CAN choose to upgrade from Noob to Normal at any point during the challenge. You cannot go from Normal to Noob, however.

3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.

4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush.

5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before. Obviously, you can use any previously created character models or rigs.

6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself using 3rd party means.

7) Only one (1) cycle and one (1) sequence per applicant. You CAN have one of both! You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.

8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge. Final entries should consist of a render or screenshot from your scene as well as an animation clip of your main entry. Your animation can be a playblast (or your program's equivalent) or a render. It'd be preferable if you linked to your videos from your own hosting arrangements since the forum has limited attachment space!

The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am July 1st, USA Pacific time. Get it in before to make sure!

Normal Grand Prize - $400 US! A signed copy of The Game Animator's Guide to Maya!

Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice! A signed copy of The Game Animator's Guide to Maya!

Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!

# 2 01-05-2006 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
sounds cool. should allow for a lot of creativity in the sequences that r produced

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT ENTER

have fun all
user added image

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 01-05-2006 , 08:50 PM
Great one Mike!

Im in the entire way on this one. oooh yeah!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 01-05-2006 , 09:28 PM
so if i'm understanding correctly, can i remodel a low polygon model from a game and doing a walking cycle or a jumping cycle?

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 5 01-05-2006 , 09:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
you can make a model, download one from the net or whatever. the only requirement being that YOU do the animation.

# 6 01-05-2006 , 09:59 PM
ah, ok, thx user added image

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 7 01-05-2006 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
I am very new to Maya, but since this one is not about making a 500k poly object, I just might go for it! I have not delusions of grandeur, but at least I know that I can do this oneā€¦

"I'd call that beastial masochistic necrophilia, but that would be like beating a dead horse."
# 8 01-05-2006 , 11:45 PM
19 year Veteran
Awsome, this months challenge seems really intresting. I'm really considering on entering this one as I am allready working on short character animation cycles.

# 9 02-05-2006 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
oooh animating is something i havent learned..
interesting though...

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 10 02-05-2006 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
need some big practice n this one so great idea mike!
Ill be noobing this one i thinks...

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 11 02-05-2006 , 05:31 PM
Hi

Just a question mike....some months ago the challenge was to create a game caracter....can we use the caracter that we've made??

Good luck for everybody user added image

Best Regards

Gamester

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 12 02-05-2006 , 07:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
Sure you can.

# 13 10-05-2006 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
Lol someone who has access to those animation suits is quite lucky for this one.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 14 10-05-2006 , 11:59 AM
putfile is rejecting me... wont sent me a registration EMail cuz "I am already registered" and then it wont let me sign in... user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 15 12-05-2006 , 11:19 PM
Well I'm new to this so I was wondering if there could be a short fight sequence between two models?