Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 13-12-2006 , 03:30 AM
yea that's your uv snapshot. after that, go into photoshop or wherever, and paint your texture. i did a quick scribble session based on my UV snapshot that looked like this:

user added image

and got this:

user added image

and it rendered to look like this:

user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 17 13-12-2006 , 03:46 AM
and i use hypershade to get it on??

it would be nice if you could say all the folders you go through toouser added image. im still a noob...
thanks

Last edited by mrbozzo; 13-12-2006 at 04:03 AM.
# 18 13-12-2006 , 06:42 PM
how do i get the texture on??user added image
after editing in ps...

# 19 13-12-2006 , 08:49 PM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 13-12-2006 at 08:54 PM.
# 20 14-12-2006 , 01:51 AM
thanks i'll try it tomorrow

# 21 14-12-2006 , 06:18 PM

# 22 14-12-2006 , 06:42 PM
cylindrical mapping is also found under the 'Polygon UVs' menu.

to put the texture onto your object, you have to first load the texture onto a shader. to do that, create a shader (like a blinn, etc.). click on the checker box next to color, and choose file. browse your computer for the texture you made, and select it. your shader should now look like the texture you just applied...

to apply the shader to your object, either MMB (middle mouse button) drag it onto the object, or right click and choose 'apply material to selection' (assuming you've selected your object, of course).

i think it's been spelled out pretty clearly now.

the tutorial you posted is certainly good, but at the same time it's a little complicated if you're just trying to learn the basics. UV map something simple first to get the hang of it, THEN try the complex stuff.

Accept no substitutions.
# 23 14-12-2006 , 07:40 PM
Senior Software Developer
MrB...

You seem to be having real issues with his... I suggest you get hold of a book or read the help files (F1), it explains as well as we can. The tutes that Neo has provided and the links others have provided, should have given you enough info to be getting on with. Its all trial and error to learn Maya.

Just get stuck in and try to get it right. Start with a simple object and work your way up.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 24 19-12-2006 , 07:46 PM
i'll try thatuser added image
but r@nsid the help files at maya don't tell me a shit about what i want to know...

neo i don't have the polygon uv folder, because i use maya 6.0
i found the mappings tho...
but when i add the texture to the shader it only come the whole black and white grids with the texture i applied on...
and:
"to apply the shader to your object, either MMB (middle mouse button) drag it onto the object, or right click and choose 'apply material to selection' (assuming you've selected your object, of course)."

just confuse me, i know how to add a shader to an object... i think the easiest way is to right-click>materials>assign new material>X(x=unknown)

# 25 19-12-2006 , 08:03 PM
can you post an image of what you get after you apply your texture so i can see what you're talking about?

Accept no substitutions.