Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 11-11-2013 , 04:39 AM

selecting objects based on their display mode...

Okay folks, I feel like a real retard because I asked this question a long time ago and actually figured out the mel to resolve it but I have not used maya in so long I have forgotten how to do it.

I have a HUGE model that has some parts smoothed (smooth preview 3 not physically smoothed) and others are not (ie smooth preview level 1). I normally make a set containing one or the other (usually all the smooth preview level 1 parts) then I can simply select everything and press the 3-key and then pick the unsmoothed set and press the 1-key to unsmooth all the bits that need to remain unsmoothed.

Unfortunately I did not follow my own rule and accidentally selected the entire model and pressed the 3-key so now I have hundreds of parts that I have to find and switch back to smooth preview mode 1.

I have a backed up version and all the parts are named the same so if I can just select all the objects in that model that are at smooth preview level 1 I can fix my current model but I campletely forgot the mel code to do so and really do not want to have to spend days figuring it all out again.

As I recall the code was very simple like ... (which is why I probably never wrote it down)

Code:
string $selected[] = `ls -sl`;
for ( $node in $selected )
{
	// if $node is NOT at smooth previews level 1 unselect it
}

// everything left selected at this point will be at smooth preview level 1
I cannot remember the mel to query the smooth preview state of an object.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-11-2013 at 02:57 PM.
# 2 11-11-2013 , 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
If the objects are poly then this would work, if it's a mix then the code would have to be smarter.

Code:
string $selection[] = `ls -sl`;
int $smoothStateList[];
int $smoothState;

for($obj in $selection){

// query smooth state
	$smoothStateList = `displaySmoothness -q -po $obj`;
	$smoothState = $smoothStateList[0];

// if smoothed, deselect
	if($smoothState  == 3)
		select -d $obj ;

}

- Genny
# 3 12-11-2013 , 03:16 AM
Thanks Gen,

displaySmoothness -q -po <obj> is exactly what I was trying to remember. Now I can pull out all the unsmoothed bits and put them into a set.

There is a mix of nurbs but your code gets me most of the way there. I will be sure to save it this time.

-Cheers,
Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-11-2013 at 03:20 AM.