Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-10-2013 , 09:15 AM

Roadkill UV acting weird ?

Hey. Has anyone experienced this weird thing before? I installed the 1.1 version at work and tried UV mapping an object. I select edges in maya and hit live unwrap in roadkill maya plugin interface. it brings up the roadkill interface and unwraps it. if i want to change the UV mapping and select some different edges in maya and use the plugin interface again ( live unwrap ), roadkill doesnt accept my new edge selections and unwraps as the same before...

never happened before...

# 2 25-10-2013 , 09:46 AM
actually maya selection tool is not recognized in Roadkill i think. check out my selection and the result when i hit LCSM and live unwrap.

it used to recognize the maya selection changes...

user added image

Last edited by goggles; 25-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.
# 3 31-10-2013 , 08:05 AM
Cmon, I know some you guys are using Roadkill. Anyone interested in doing a test on 06.2013 version? I can't tell if this was updated again on 06.2013, but it says so... And can't see the older version in pullinshapes website anymore.

# 4 01-01-2014 , 10:01 PM
Roadkill works perfectly fine when I use it within Maya. Not the external app. Only known bug I can see is when you press undo and it crashes.

# 5 02-01-2014 , 01:50 AM
Technical Director
I've never used the Maya plugin. I always exported an OBJ, and imported it in manually.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 02-01-2014 , 03:28 AM
My philosophy is to use as few apps I can. I already have to jump across from C4D to Maya when I model. So UVing I do all in Maya with Roadkill and then use UV Ninja to straighten UV's or fix the spacing. LeonLabyk has a good vid showing the things he does. We both have identical workflows now. Will post it here.

Maya - RoadKill UV Tactics on Vimeo

# 7 02-01-2014 , 05:44 PM
The thin red line
I stopped using the road kill plugin and now use the UV unwrap tool thats with the bonus tools, I dont know if Jay cover it in his UV texturing tutorial...................dave

# 8 02-01-2014 , 08:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I used the bonus tools auto unwrap, it works just like road kill....these days Im happy with Maya, Im not in a hurry LOL

Justa quickie...Roadkill hasnt been updated for a while has it???..didnt the guy stop doing it...maybe its a clash in maya, I dont know...A few of my guys had issues a while back because it wasnt working either...

I just checked his page at pullingshapes website and well Im not convinced its been done properly

https://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

Again my emphasis on knowing fundamentals....I think I covered that in my tute, but I wont go into that.

Im sure these guys will help you and way...Mr Fister is a budding roadkill user...

Jay

# 9 02-01-2014 , 11:45 PM
I honestly don't use it as much as Leon does. I have other tasks to handle for the most part. You are right that it does have its errors but for the most part it has now cut apart about a million objects and only given issues in a couple of things. Sometimes geo disappears and sometimes it crashes if you press the undo hotkey.

Everything is simply working off of the Maya API. So to say it hasn't been kept after is pointless since the 32 to 64 bit switch. Once that went through it is simply executing tasks that are built into Maya natively. All subsequent releases are using the same architecture. The actual script for Roadkill if you ignore the export and import procedures is only 150 lines long. 50 of that being the GUI. It uses basic calls and generally speaking I am not exactly sure how you can make them better. The only possible way would be to store the UV's instead of flushing it. But then that creates the issue of possibly having multiple UV sets which will cause confusion or not export at all depending on if you are using game engines. You could change the code to reflect a ! command and execute an else statement that just flushes the UV's on undo.

I keep rambling. Time to get back to work.

# 10 02-01-2014 , 11:55 PM
Dude re read my post....I asked if it had been kept, hence the question mark....so its not pointless

thanks
Jay

# 11 02-01-2014 , 11:59 PM
Message too short. Must have 10 characters.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 03-01-2014 , 12:38 AM
Goggles as Fister has posted and like you already said, its just the update from June last year...which is what I saw earlier anyway when I visited the site, I know Maya 2013 did have its niggles and so did 2014 up to around early december...so any bug fixes for RK may be being done....

Try the auto unwrap from bonustools for now maybe as Daverave mentioned if you are having issues, it does exactly the same thing..and you get a gui as well..just a thought

Goggles are you using Linux or Windows at work???

Jay

# 13 08-01-2014 , 09:14 PM
I am using windows. But as you see it had been updated in June, and the older versions are no longer downloadable. I e-mailed the developer when i posted this message and got no reply. I will go through my hard drives and find an older version to test it out... But still, i have been using it since i posted this message. And it has the bug. Things are going strange nowadays, this might be a parallel universe and maybe japan princess is right about the 5th dimension and we all should be carefull about soda cans...

Selection tools are not working in Maya UI anymore, in this universe.

# 14 22-01-2014 , 11:50 PM
OK, so if anyone is interested, while organizing my hrd drive, i installed an older version. And it is working fine.
I couldn't find an older version on internet. Btw i am working on maya 2013 , with no service pack installed.

About the test; it seems like no matter what your selection is while using new version, it just cuts the obj the same way. You get the same result...

results ;

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 15 23-01-2014 , 01:42 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.