Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-08-2015 , 08:06 PM

Is it ok to key joint's rotation to it's transfroms ?

Hey, I'm wondering, is it fine to key character joint rotations to same joints transforms in maya?

I noticed that when human's arms are up in the air, shoulder moves slightly up and inwards towards neck.

I tried making a setup with connection editor and multiplications/addition nodes but it was giving bad results.

Then I realized that maybe just keying (set driven key) could work, so I set two positions of character's arms: up and down. So when character's arms are down shoulders are the widest, and when they are up, they are shortest. However there are some small twitching appearing in shoulder joints now when they are rotating due Ik handles I guess. Though this twitching does not appear on attached skin.

Do you think it is good way to do it ?

# 2 25-08-2015 , 08:15 PM
I realized why twitching is happening. Ik handle is controlling rotation of the joint and when arm is going to different position joint rotates. When joint is moving up ik handle makes it rotate too to make joint chain face ik handle's end point. So there are two incoming connections that are making joint to rotate that probably "fighting" each other.