Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-10-2015 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber

Multiple Faces

I have been trying to cut out a window in a house on the backside of my polygon. When I insert an edge loop it is only cutting out parts of the polygon. I have attached a screenshot, so hopefully that will help this make sense.
I have some of the window selected out but when I move over to the right suddenly the cuts are gone and its one large piece. Why can I select individual pieces on only certain parts?

Thanks! Happy Halloween!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-11-2015 , 03:02 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Looks like you have multiple faces on top of each other, which is why it appears that you can only select one large face. I would delete those faces and use the Append Poly Tool to fix that area.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 03-11-2015 at 03:09 PM.
# 3 04-11-2015 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
Ozgalis, thank you!

So as I am going through it looks like I may have accidentally duplicated everything at some point. I have two sets of everything sitting on top of one another. Is there an easy way to fix this? Or do I need to go through each of my faces and delete the extras one by one?

# 4 05-11-2015 , 01:42 AM
First thing I would check is to make sure you didn't duplicate the whole object, best way to do that is look at the outliner. If it's not just a duplicate object but duplicate faces, only way I know if is by going through and checking everything manually.

# 5 05-11-2015 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
If you have two objects in the outliner, then you might delete one (the "wrong" one ;-) ), if it is the same object you should mark the faces carefully, which are not belonging to the original. Hope its not too much work.
By the way, I strongly recommend to use the autosave - function, which can save every 10 minutes you work status. In case you messed up you model you should be able to go back to the last stage before this happened. I have several times that the original file was broken, fortunately i used this function. But don't forget to delete from time to time the autosaved files, because it will get quite big, keep some key work points only.

# 6 05-11-2015 , 04:27 PM
husbyhogan makes a good point about saving often. I usually save after any major changes or every 20-30 minutes (depends on what comes first). I name my files;

<name of project>_MM_DD_YY_<revision number>

So for example;

M16_11_05_2015_01

The last number _01 is my revision number, this will change every time I save..so if I have a lot of revisions in one day I can tell which one was the latest version.