Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-10-2006 , 06:14 AM

Glass Render

Hey everyone. I just wanted to see what you thought of my attempts at creating a quick glass texture.

I haven't been on simplymaya in years. I haven't even touch maya in years. I'm a noob just playing around with it in my spare time. Using Maya 4.5.

The scene has only one light source.

There are two pics and one video link(about 2megs)
Video Link

user added image

user added image

- Matt
# 2 05-10-2006 , 06:16 AM
If the video link don't work. Oh well, my bad. I just grabbed a quick video host. Hopefully it works.

- Matt
# 3 05-10-2006 , 04:13 PM
The top part of the glass is looking ok but the bottom is almost invisible. In the animation it doesnt look like the background of the glass bends as much as I'd expect it to. Then again I haven't tried rendering glass user added image

it'd be nice to see some more experiments

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 05-10-2006 , 06:25 PM
i think you're gonna get some comments about 'where's the caustics?' or something to that extent... it would help the shadow be more defined but also softer where it needs to be...

the one thing that pops into my head at the moment is that down towards the base of the glass, the shadow should be darker (and there should be a slight highlight of light around the end of the glass base where that shadow begins)

it looks like you've got your IOR about right, cause the refractions change nicely with the thickness of the glass. so i'd say it's a success.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 07-10-2006 , 03:48 AM
I don't really know anything about caustics. I'm using maya 4.5 and only have the sofware render. I have maya 7 PLE. It has caustics under the mental ray section, but i don't use the PLE. I don't like it. So i'm stuck with 4.5.

i'm using a sinlge light source. No GI effects. Just wanted to see how the reflections and refractions looked. I wasn't worried about the shadow at the moment.

Anyway, i'm gonna work on it some more when i get some free time. I'm busy with long hours at work and many days. When i get a free chance, I'll try to make it prettier.

- Matt