Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-03-2009 , 01:07 PM

Realistic Metal Problems

Hello,

I've been working on this project for 3 months now and I'm nearing the end and doing some touch ups. One of my problems is that my metal texture just doesn't feel like metal. I used a phong to make the texture. The reflectivity of the metal is a big part of the problem I feel as it isn't distorted at all. Could anyone give me some suggestions on how this problem can be fixed? I don't really understand much about refractions but I believe that's in the process of the solution.

Thank you.

user added image

# 2 14-03-2009 , 01:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
you need to add reflection blur.

# 3 14-03-2009 , 01:57 PM
Could you explain to me a little on how the reflection blur, blur limit, and blur rays work? Or do you know of a tutorial that may help me?

# 4 14-03-2009 , 03:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its not a case of just adding reflection blur. Its no use giving an advanced tip when its clear the basics arent there.

You have to ask the question - 'what type of metal am I trying to achieve?'

As at the moment its just a shader with full reflectivity causing the whole object to basically look like chrome. Have a look around google at different metals. Some metals like aluminium dont reflect at all they just have a very matted specular spread. By adding a good texture to the object as well will help sell it as being metal, not just by giving it a shader.

Jay

# 5 14-03-2009 , 04:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
a fair point jay, I was just being a lazy hung over bum. :p

# 6 14-03-2009 , 04:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL you are forgiven LOL

J