Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 23-09-2007 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
now I know your having us on.., no-one can get as far through maya as you and not know how to render an AVI. user added image

thats maya pre 101..

but i'll humour us all and tell you; you need to export your 'iff's to something like After Effects, any compositing package.., and render from there

you will not get good results fro rendering AVI in maya.

VideoMach, Fusion, Combustion, After effects, motion.., ect.., anyone of these.., VideMach is free (sort of)

if this is for real, and you REALLY dont know, then get mikes free tut on compositing.., look through the free tuts.., its called either 'rendering' or 'composting.'

its a process that starts at your render globals (and i know you know what that is) select 'name # extenstion.., put in the frames you want rendered.., frame pading.., check the next tab for 'production quality' and 'batch render .

take that into After Effects.

I gotta say.., your a killer.., user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 23-09-2007 , 08:45 AM
lol. It's odd. I have been using maya for a long while but I have done almost nothing with animation or texturing or rigging. I pretty much just build a model and move on to the next one.

This last break I took was a rather long one as I had a major system crash and I had to build a new system from the ground up. That and school work has kept me quite busy. I finally gto around to putting Maya back on and realized I had become quite rusty.

This gun model seemed easy enough to build and also seemed as good a place as any to start tinkering with rigging, animation and mel.

I keep telling myself I am going to build a nice model and texture it one day. But all it takes is fifteen minutes watching a uv unwrapping tutorial before I come up with an excuse to work on a new model rather then texture the last one! lol. I am a big fan of adding surface detail by inserting beveled boxes and I don't even know where to begin trying to uv unwrap something with tons of these boxes stuck all over the surface.

Take this warhammer 40k model. I figured out how to rig the pistons in the legs and I would love to texture it but I have no idea where to start unwrapping it. https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=25308

THE NEW MACHINE

The good news is this new machine should be a screacher!

eVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68-A1, P30 Bios
Intel C2Q4 Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz CPU
Corsair Twin2-2048-6400Gx2 5-5-5-12 (1GBx4) memory
eVGA 8800Ultra KO graphics adaptor
Promise Fastrak TX2000 PCI IDEx2 RAID controller (connected to 4 250GB ATA100 disks)
1x250GB western digital serial ATA300 disk (os)
lite-on serial ATA LH20A1L-06 combo dvd/cd burner
lite-on IDE LTR-48125W combo dvd/cd burner
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000w PSU
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 SE case
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 (32-bit)

I am going to avoid 64-bit xp or vista until they are more stable.

Last edited by ctbram; 23-09-2007 at 09:01 AM.
# 18 23-09-2007 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
im the same, but i can texture a little.., at least you get to finish the models..!!

that new machine.., my jaw is still on the ground. which part is the graphics card??

# 19 23-09-2007 , 09:39 AM
The gfx card is the big honk'n evga 8800Ultra KO. It is a huge card. It takes up 2 slots. I had to buy the cooler master enclosure because the card was to long to fit in my old case.

I could put two in the mother board I have using SLI mode, but it runs so hot and uses tons of power (requires 2 power connectors) and it is a rather expensive card so I am not really sure it would be worth the investment. If I got another card I would rather build another machine then have two in a single box.

Last edited by ctbram; 23-09-2007 at 09:41 AM.
# 20 23-09-2007 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
I could put two in the mother board I have using SLI mode,

...??????????????????

If I got another card I would rather build another machine then have two in a single box.

.......................??????????????????????????? ?/

dont understand these two comments.., but WOW.., man thats some card!!

went and checked out your walking tank.., would look great as an animation. but then you would have to texture the environment ..user added image

a card and a set up lie that.., im guessing.., you work with computers?? user added image I didnt know anything like that even existed.

a friend of mine who used to be on here often is similar to you (and me) in that he loves to model but moves on at the texture stage.., so i figure, maya is like climbing mountains.., first there is one, you climb it, look over the horizon.., and there is another. maybe some of us just get sick of climbing user added image happy to rest in the shade for a while. Im working on an underwater scene at the moment for the challenge (but uni work is in the way so it might not get done in time).., most of that is particles and lighting.., very interesting and effective stuff. I like to learn.., anything.., for me, the Internet is the library to the world.., as opposed to a voyeurs paradise.

cheers

# 21 24-09-2007 , 09:14 AM
lol okay stupid question number 58....

I have after effects. Is there a tutorial that covers taking 100 .iff files and compositing them into a single avi file? Premeire cannot handle iff files so I guess I need to go with AE.

I used to be quite good at after effects (about 2 years ago when I last used it). Now I can barely remember how to launch it. I bring in all 100 .iff's into the bin but I can't remember the process for putting them all end to end into the timeline window. When I try to drag the lot I get them all lined up under each other and all for the full 10 secs of the video. I want 100 frames at 10 fps.

I swear it feels like the more I learn, the less I seem to actually know, it must be old age setting in.

Last edited by ctbram; 24-09-2007 at 09:17 AM.
# 22 28-09-2007 , 11:33 PM
yippee skippee!

I figured out how to render an iff sequence in after effects.

Here is a quick render at 320x240 15fps using cinepak compression.

https://home.comcast.net/~rmulawa/falinx/maya_falinx.avi

**special thanks to you guys for helping me through this.

I am trying to think of my next project. I want to model, texture, rig, and pose something; so I am trying to make it reasonably simple so the uv unwrapping does not suck the life out of me.

Last edited by ctbram; 28-09-2007 at 11:38 PM.
# 23 29-09-2007 , 04:30 AM
Subscriber
glad you 'worked it out' user added image i was too bust ti respond but seems no problem for you.

good luck on the next one.., some of us are watching user added image