Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 01-06-2007 , 03:08 PM
Cheers Guys.

Been having fun with this to be honest, getting used to Zbrush 3, its one mighty package, only thing is that I cant get good details in there, skin pores, stuble ect, need to have a look into how to go about it. I've found that you cant output the HD sculpting as a displacement map at the mo which is a shame, on the model at the mo if I went to level 2 in HD sculpt it would be 20 million polys which would give super detail when sculpting with alphas, theres a plug in coming soon for it though, then again I need to learn how to do it with the projection master!!

Arran - I know what you mean, Ive had a tweek with his eyes and moved them closer together, which seems to sort out that problem, its one thing that I ve found doing this project that if one thing looks a little off it might not actually be that part but another thats causing the bother, I would recommend trying to create a likeness to somebody as you really ge to see how things fit together, If I was just going to do a generic male character then I would have left this ages ago as a finished model.

I'm glad that people are recognising the character for who hes supposed to be.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 47 02-06-2007 , 01:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

Nice going so far. Yeah have to wait on that plugin, or...if you still have version 2 loaded save the the model as a tool and do the dis map in 2.

Also for the finer pores, just use the bump viewer material, you dont need to displace geometry for skin pores, thats just excessive, and rendertimes have to be seriously considered too. Thats the thing with all these assets available now, you need the machine, time and patience to hack it all.

Cheers
Jay

# 48 02-06-2007 , 03:12 AM
Yeah Jay your right, just want to give it a blast, along with the transpose, mat cap etc etc!!

I'm quite lucky for the comp hardware as I'll render it on my machines at uni (core 2 duo, water cooled, 4 gig RAM etc etc) which I can leave churning all the time if need be, which I do for heavy simulations

Think that i'll give the bump viewer matereial a go (as ive never used it) hint hint for any tutorials!

Cheers

Steve

# 49 02-06-2007 , 06:55 AM
Head over to 3d total, they have a section of tutorials. In the tutes section go to the heading 'Project overviews' and scroll down to what looks like an old renaissance painting...that should help you..

there are some others there but I found this one most useful, it has brush settings for skin pores etc..

Have fun
Jay

# 50 03-06-2007 , 06:57 AM
Nice one Jay!

Been looking over all the project overviews, some great stuff on there.

heres a bit of larger image, with a few adjustments.

Attached Thumbnails

# 51 04-06-2007 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
hey steve, well arnt you having fun doing this! lol, the head looks great and you can really tell that is mr willis(spelling?) Keep up the good work mate, ill be keeping my eye out on this user added image

Just a quick question from me, how many hours you been working on this for? user added image

Marlon

# 52 04-06-2007 , 01:40 AM
Cheers Marlon

Not to sure to be honest, as a lot of the time i'm trying new things in Zbrush and then undoing them! I would say probably about 8-10 hrs in total, if you take out the messing about. Most of it's been tweeking the overall shape and getting a likeness.

The problem is that if I carry on i'll probably never get it finished as i'll be tweeking forever!

A lot of its planning what I'm going to do to get a nice workflow going. Like at the mo i'm considering the best way to add the details to the model.

# 53 04-06-2007 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
nice model

gster123 is that render done in zbrush (3)
is there any whay to get that shader into maya?

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 54 04-06-2007 , 02:27 AM
Hey PB man, thanks

Its not a render, it's just a screen grab, the shaders Zbrush 3's standard shader, I dont think that theres a way to get it out, there might be but i've not exported out of Z to maya.

# 55 04-06-2007 , 07:56 AM
if you bring in a bit more detail around the tip area of the nose and sculpt the forehead area a little more you'll definitely be in die hard territory user added image

Good work steve, keep it up user added image
Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 56 04-06-2007 , 03:14 PM
Cheers Si

I'll keep it in mind for my lunch break today!

Cheers

Steve

# 57 10-06-2007 , 11:11 AM
Little update,

Ive started to add some detial to the model now i've figured out the best way for me to add the skin pores to the model, ive also been having a play making some custom alphas to add wrinkes arround the eyes and the lips.

Any comments or crits appreciated

Cheers

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

# 58 10-06-2007 , 11:16 AM
Looks really good, but what is custom alphas? user added image

# 59 10-06-2007 , 12:07 PM
Weyu

Alphas are greayscale images (basically like a bump map) that you either make from photographs or by painting them yourself

for example heres a free one that I got from highend 3d.

You "paint" them as deformations on your object in Z brush.

The pic that I posted above only has the "base coat" for the skin pores, what I'll do is add a combination of my custom ones as well as some that I downloaded to as the lips and the eyes, combined with some extra tweeking onthe model to ass to the wrinkles and skin imperfections before going and adding the colour to model, either using photo textures and/or using the standard painting tools in Z brush.

Heres the alpha example

Attached Images

# 60 10-06-2007 , 02:02 PM
Hey Steve

Its getting there for sure. If I may give a little crit though, the nostril holes look a little sharp and add a little definition on the outer nostril too. Shouldnt take long in Z, beats the crap out of point pulling LOL for sure,

thanks for registering at Outlaws ...

Jay