Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-07-2011 , 02:38 PM

Can I use just one texture?

I have to create an animation where you're looking at a solid surface, and parts of that surface slide out (like a series of desk drawers being pulled open). It's a sawn log viewed from the end, and I have to animate boards sliding out of the log. The problem is before the pieces start coming out, their shaders together need to create a cohesive pattern (the growth rings of the tree) and each individual piece has to maintain its part of that pattern after it has been pulled out of the log.

Is there a way to accomplish this using one texture and projecting it onto the end of the log, or am I going to have to create several separate textures for each piece and match them up perfectly?

# 2 14-07-2011 , 04:13 PM
The thin red line
Yes if you lay out your UVs in such a way you will be able to do one texture for the wood rings, the size map you use will depend on the detail you want...........dave