Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-01-2006 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber

Slicing up my model

Can anyone tell me how they would go about cutting a model up into flat sections every 2 inches. I want to use a computer model to help me create a fibreglass mould. So I want to cut the model into what will become the plywood ribs.

If you need a better explanation of what i want to do just say.

Thanks.

# 2 03-01-2006 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Hi ,

I like the question so much :p (seriously user added image )

If I understood correctly, you would generate, from any model, "sliced profiles".

I really don't have time trying the trick right now but some idea poped up directly.
Considering a NURBS surface, I would try projecting simple line/curve (dupplicated vertically according to your needs) horizontally, from the side view.

I'm not sure but this worth a trial I think. user added image

edit : trying right now but the idea might be ... crazy :blush:

edit2 : well, at first sight, projecting horizontal lines really works on NURBS model and generates clean projections. The next step now shows how stupid or frustrating my idea is lol : I just can't figure out how the hell using these curves to generate CV or verts while transforming. Well, sry so far, but i'm not dropping yet user added image

Last edited by Pyrus; 03-01-2006 at 06:16 PM.
# 3 03-01-2006 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
Yups in fact it works fine, a bit derivated user added image

Here's the result with a simple deformed sphere. The result is planes, with profiles directly drawn on each plane nurbs. The result on the Nurbs Sphere is I think, totally unusefull, while a trim on each plane nurbs will reveal a precise cut of, I would say, each fiber glass moulds.

Hopin' it's what you were looking for.

Ow, that's a "NURBS intersect" command. Both directions. Curve on surface option. All in one shot.

The test scene can be found HERE

You'll notice (I tried the file) the curves on planes are not drawn (not sure why) because i didn't trimmed direcly or something.

Well, try on your side, a NURBS as complex as you want, and dupplicated nurbs planes. Select ALL >> Nurbs >> Intersect Surface. Reset settings. Apply. then Trim directly each nurbs plane. You got it user added image

Last edited by Pyrus; 03-01-2006 at 07:13 PM.
# 4 05-01-2006 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice. Now all i've got to do is price up the materials and convince my aunt to lend me an overhead projector from school. I'm then going to print the profiles onto acetate and use the OHP to project a template onto plywood sheets. Then after i've got ribs every two inches i'll fill the gaps with hard foam boards before sanding to shape and painting. I can then use this plug to create the mold.

btw, it's to make the bodywork for my kit car.