Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-09-2005 , 11:08 AM

blend shape problem

Hi,

After modelling my character i bound the character to the skeleton using smooth bind, after that i added some influence objects and everthing worked fine. Now i decided to add blendshapes to the character's mouth which also worked fine. But the problem now is that when i rotate the neck joint of the character and try to use the blendshape i created i get a weird result whereby the character returns the neck joint to the position where the joint was before instead of moving the mouth only. What do you think i should do.

give to life want you want from it.
# 2 12-09-2005 , 11:33 PM
when you create your blend shape node there is an option for deformation order (under the advanced tab). Maybe try changing that to Before (default is After i think).

let us know if it works!

cheers

# 3 02-10-2005 , 11:28 PM
You would need to do the blend shapes <bold>before</bold> you smooth bind it, otherwise that's what you get what you have right now. Trust me, I been there and wasn't very pleasant. Had a friend who tried to do other way around, still no results.

# 4 02-10-2005 , 11:43 PM
One thing...I read something about Mike sayin' that you can use to change the deformation order. You might want to look up on that.

::cheers::

# 5 04-10-2005 , 01:37 AM
i think you have to do it before binding (skinning) but even if you do it the other way round and can't get it to work properly you can always export the skin weight maps and re-import them back to the same model (after blending)

my 2 cents user added image

# 6 04-10-2005 , 01:44 AM
I haven't thought about exporting weights, dang. Gotta love this site...always more info coming. What do you export it as...IFF? Any difference with others?

# 7 04-10-2005 , 11:31 AM
don't think it matters what format

# 8 07-10-2005 , 08:57 PM
I think adding blendshapes before binding is the solution, but the importing of skinweights isn't working for me.

give to life want you want from it.