After two challenges focusing on realism, it's time to get back to the fun stuff. For this challenge, the goal is to create a transformer: a vehicle that can transform into a robot/mech! The main challenge will be designing something that can make use of the same parts to form two different things.
You aren't limited to just using the same parts, however. Just like in the Transformers cartoon, heads and hands and guns and such can pop out of the innards of the machine and don't have to be visible in both the vehicle and mech incarnations of the model.
The vehicle your mech transforms into can be anything, including fictional! Let's see some air, land, and sea vehicles out there!
NO copying of existing Transformers! Feel free to have an 18-wheeler as your vehicle, but don't copy Optimus Prime!
1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Show your conceptual process as much as possible! Texturing is not required but is preferred.
If you have time, try to do an animation of your transformer making the transition from vehicle to mech! Playblasts of this are fine. Any animation links should be posted as links to off-site hosted files as much as possible.
2) Label your thread thusly:
Mar/Apr - Norm or Noob - Your name
Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.
3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.
4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush.
5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.
6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself using 3rd party means.
7) Only one (1) entry per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.
8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge. Final entries should consist of two renders: one of the vehicle and one of the mech. If possible, composite these into one image to avoid attaching too many images to the thread. A link to any transforming animation you make can be posted as well.
The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am May 1st, USA Pacific time. Get it in before to make sure!
Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!
Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!
Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!