Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-05-2013 , 04:41 AM

best maya physics?

hi,

I'm wondering if there is any good physics plugin for maya. I heard there was a physX plugin but that it wasn't very good. Does anyone have experience with several or would know of the best one?

Also I'm having some trouble creating active rigid bodies. For some reason everytime I convert a polygon to them in flies off in some random direction. If I then try to move the object it zooms out of view. What could be causing this?

Last edited by jarwulf; 20-05-2013 at 06:14 AM.
# 2 20-05-2013 , 12:38 PM
Technical Director
Make sure your playback speed is set to "Play every frame" in your animation preferences.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 20-05-2013 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
If you want to look at creating good effects and dynamics I would look at learning Houdini (https://www.sidefx.com/).

I have been learning it the last few weeks and It is really is amazing. It does have a Steep learning curve, but there are lots of resources on the Sidefx site to learn form and the forum at odforce.net is also a great.

I still stick with maya for all my modelling and UVing as I find this is better and faster, to create in then Houdini.

# 4 20-05-2013 , 07:03 PM

Make sure your playback speed is set to "Play every frame" in your animation preferences.

Its not even in playback it just shifts automatically when I make it into a rigid body and then completely disappears when I try to move it without hitting the playback button. Strangely though it only seems to happen to objects I've been altering for awhile. A freshly created cube doesn't seem to have the same problems.

# 5 20-05-2013 , 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Could be history building up.

- Genny
# 6 21-05-2013 , 07:25 AM

Could be history building up.

Bizarre, I tried deleting history and delete all history through the edit menu I tried the playback all frames to no avail. The only thing that seems to work sometimes is creating a new scene and pasting the objects in but sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I can get one object to properly convert and fall. But paste a few more in and that same object is now shifting in position when converted to an active rigid body and either allows me to move it properly or zips way way (usually down) out of sight if you even touch the move manipulator from one second to the next.

# 7 21-05-2013 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
Make sure it is not intersecting with any other geometry, as this can cause issues.

# 8 21-05-2013 , 06:25 PM

Make sure it is not intersecting with any other geometry, as this can cause issues.

nope, I even ungrouped to be sure. Strangely converting to physX dynamic rigid bodies or ncloth gives me none of the issues that the default active rigid bodies do.